Breach performance

My experience is that if you get rid of anhedral, the foil rolls much better.

The trade off with using an aft/bottom loaded section is that they do have more negative pitch moment and so might need a slightly bigger stabilizer to offset it. The picture of the Armstrong above is an example of an aft loaded section; the concave in the back 1/3rd of the bottom surface is the telltale.

I would agree with KDW that 600-800 is fine. I used to build sailboats and foils (rudders/daggerboards mostly but also some hydrofoils) for top racers and we would only sand to 600. Anything above that was a pretty small incremental gain. Though I do recall the sailors in super competitive classes would sand the hull of their boat with 1500 or 3000 gritā€¦ Itā€™s probably worthwhile if you are looking for that last tenth of a knot in a race

As for fences, some foiling sailboats such as Hydroptere with surface piercing foils used fences. That boat was developed and modified over decades so they likely work. The latest IMOCA foilers also have surface piercing foils and some use fences and some do not. Some at least seem to use aft loaded type sections as far as I can tell from pictures.

1 Like

After blowing it on very many breaches on the HPS today and then catching the odd one, I had the thought that breaches are like losing traction in a car. I want to be warned through feedback that it is about to happen, and when it happens I want it to happen gradually and somewhat linearly so that I can anticipate and react to it (loss of lift on the foil and loss of traction in the car).

I think as this applies to foiling, the foils that handle breaches well, actually breach softer and ā€œearlierā€ (through the various designs) than others, giving you a warning that the breach is happening, and progressively lose lift.

Foils that breach badly, lose lift nearly instantly, across the whole span, giving you next to no warning and no gentle initiation of the breach. Like a car with a big turbo and bad manners - when it goes, its gone (here is where skill comes into play).

The tradeoff is like grip in the car, maximum grip but no warning when you get to the end of the grip, vs something a bit mushier on the extreme, making it possible to better manage the grip near the limit.

This now makes sense. Once breached, you want the lift to return to the foil, much like the car, you donā€™t want it snapping back to 100% lift/grip, you need it to return gradually otherwise youā€™ll overcorrect and start again, leading to another breach.

I donā€™t quite understand this, but I can imagine you donā€™t want too much tip loading as then when you lose that you lose a greater % of the total lift.

1 Like

Cool picture of a neat little breach :whale2: F-one eagle with the winglets coming into effect

Does anyone know if the GoFoil step portion is a different angle to the main foil or if itā€™s same angle but stepped?

Anyone review how these breach? I imagine this works pretty well at the expense of some efficiency

Itā€™s and angle relief. Lower AOA in the tips

1 Like

It seems gofoil have the best breach and recovery of all the brands.

Personally I hear the sound of the tips out regularly when prone surfing without feeling them.

4 Likes

Any thoughts as to whether this could become a functional aspect of foiling? I guess like drifting on a car, skateboard, you add control at the edge.

This is a rad clip of the Eagle in action

4 Likes

The F-one skate has fences? Theā€™ve doubled down on the fences since adding to the tails

1 Like

I know most of the foils Iā€™ve ridden if I get the wing tip out like this them Iā€™m going down down - but then Iā€™m no Adam Bennets :clap: Enjoyed seeing this from his insta