Code 770r for winging?

I’ve been wanting to try a high AR foil for a while now but am yet to desire picking up a paddle again. As such, I’m wondering if anyone has experience winging the Code 770r or something similar?

I’m 87kg and will have two boards to choose from. 5’10”x20” 85l Carver and a 6’6” x18” Aviator 90l

I wing in the Columbia River Gorge 99% of the time and would say swell tends to max out around head high on big days. Average days for me is probably knee to waist high. Small days can get pretty flattish.

Since I have zero experience with a foil like this I’m wondering how the size works in various swell sizes for a rider of my weight. No worries about getting on foil, just wondering if this is going to be a good, or bad choice?

Average wind is probably 20 knots. Low end 10, high end 40.

I wing the ArtPro 1001 a lot. It’s 12 AR and 845 cm so close to the 770r. I’m in the Midwest and our good days are mostly waist high, disorganized wind chop. It squeezes every last bit of energy out of the chop when everything is aligned, but it also outruns it easily.

It’s surprisingly been useful for lighter wind since it is so efficient and not terribly hard to get on foil. Pumps through lulls well.

1 Like

Thanks! Is the turning reasonable for the span since the AR is so high? Or do you feel a little locked in?

It feels locked in compared to the Spitfire 900 7.25 AR and Spitfire 780 6.87 AR, but it’s much closer to those wings than say the PNG 1300.

It is definitely stiffer in roll and looser in pitch compared to the Spitfires which are more balanced between pitch and roll.

I had not considered the pitch factor in a high AR foil yet so thanks for throwing that out there. The roll makes sense though.

I was kind of wondering/hoping it would be nice for light winds too, so thanks for noting that!

If you haven’t, post your question at the Code facebook group. There is a lot of good information there

I used the Lift 110X in the Gorge and big ocean conditions for winging over the past year. It’s probably pretty similar to the 770R (13.1 AR 710cm2). I’m also the same weight as you. Overall, I would say now the extra glide is not worth the quirkiness in 3.5 or windier conditions (very aerated waters). The place the 110X really shines is riding big open ocean rollers, exactly what these types of wings were designed for. Pushing them hard upwind through Gorge chop you are going to end up in the water more often than you’d like scratching your head thinking, “I didn’t do anything wrong”. They’re just not really designed to be side loaded as hard (maybe 1-2 times in a couple of hours this happens and probably wouldn’t have happened on a 10ish AR foil. It actually holds up really well given it’s specs).

That said, I’m not selling the 110X. Once you get everything right heading downwind on monster swell, nothing else will touch it. Unfortunately Gorge waves are just not big enough to justify it’s use and I’d be better served with something like a Code 720S or any top manufacturers 10ish AR wing of that size.

Maybe the 680R would be better for winging :thinking:

Edited as I thought I was a little hard on the old 110… :smiling_face_with_tear:

Oddly I can’t find the group? Can you share a link?

Good feedback and I wondered about the 680 as well. Right now I am on the Cloud IX fs900 10.1 AR and it’s phenomenal. So much so that I’ve wanted to try a few others in that size/range but the one difference is this Cloud IX foils is really built for speed and the takeoff would rank lower, not higher than the number (the 900 takes off like a 775). This is what made me scratch my head about the Codes with folks saying that the 770r takes off like a 900+ foil. But, I also know the Cloud IX lineup inside and out, so I might get shocked by takeoff in another lineup.

Again though, I had not thought about the load patterns created by winging vs dw ocean riding. What your saying makes sense and I drive upwind pretty hard on my wings. Perhaps I’ve already found exactly what I need and should just wait a bit longer until C9 drops a few more sizes! Glide is painfully addictive!

The group is called Code Foil Riders

1 Like

Thanks! Found it.

My collection of foils tops out at 9.5AR so no direct experience with 12 or 13, but Bonifacio has reported an extrapolation of my experiences. When the waves get really steep, even if it isnt too sloppy, I am looking to get span down first and foremost exactly to avoid those “wtf happened there” swims, which mostly happen going upwind when well heeled over and hauling the mail. After that I am looking to match the foil area to the speed of the waves, bigger for slower obvioualy, but with a lower area constraint related to taking off and also paying some attention to how stable or unstable the wind is, slogging can get hairy along my coastline in some cases. AR just kind of ends up falling out of the above, and usually ends up lower than higher.

Having moved to an area with much more open ocean and bigger swell recently, I am noticing some big holes in my quiver. Something to catch big, fast, but not very steep swell being at the top of the list. Great to hear the 110X excels at this, I’ve veen looking at the 680R and 770R with the same purpose in mind.

Having got used to the glide of the 9.5AR foil, I’d also really like to find a way to keep more of that glide but on a more stable lower AR foil for when it gets steep and especially sloppy. The AFS Silks are the most promising looking I’ve found so far, with a big focus on minimizing parasitic drag from the mast and fuse, hopefully I can swing a demo sometime this spring.

The pitchiness with increasing aspect ratio is a real thing to consider, the sensitivity goes up considerably with increasing aspect ratio. The best way to mitigate this is to go down in area to get the loading (kg/cm2) up.

1 Like

Looks like all of the new generation of 12-13AR foils are pretty similar and dedicated to downwind performance. Armstrong even calls theirs the downwind performance series, looks gorgeous. Just wanted to reiterate, you definitely can wing on them but there’s probably more fun to be had on a lower AR foil (they’re just so beautiful :star_struck:).

Regarding pitch control, I found the 110X to be no fun using the Lift 20 carve tail, even with the extension. Maybe the 21 flow is better. The fuse was just too short but the Foil parts long adapter solved that along with the KD Marlin tails. For a 97cm span foil it still rolls and turns really well like this.

These foils are more about long swooping 18+mph carves, not sudden 90° redirects which makes them a little less fun (but still an interesting challenge) in shorter period Gorge style waves.

In short, it’s all good :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Great money saving conversation here!

I had noticed when I shifted my Cloud IX 8.5ar foils to the new 10.1ar 900 that the pitch control was really nice, but I had not considered that the AR was the reason why.

I really was thinking: “well, if 10.1 is more fun than 8.5, then what is 13 like?”

Perhaps I’m already where I should be though, and there’s not another life changing upgrade to my smiles per minute by testing a foil like that.

Still…. I like trying new foils.