Design a better leash

Does having the plug on the bottom work any better than on top?

2 Likes

You donā€™t end up with your back foot on your rail saver. Iā€™ve had it both ways and Iā€™d order it like that.

1 Like

from

6ft thick standard leash tied under the knee works OK for me. Have also tried a standard angle leash with a bungee ring around the foot to pull the cord up to the knee. This worked with a bit of fiddling after every wave.

Not to hijack but does anyone know where to economically source the metal swivels used with surf leashes?

XM sells them. I recently found out that there are different diameter holes in these (I tried to swap a 1" railsaver for a 1.5" and the screw wouldnā€™t pass through the narrower diameter swivel hole on the 1"), so keep that in mind. I have been very impressed with the quality of XM leashes and parts.

2 Likes

@JonnieTyler is this the 7ā€™ coiled one? Iā€™m currently using this with the ankle strap and I keep getting the coils wrapped around my toes all the time. Iā€™m planning on buying a calf leash but I donā€™t see Dakine selling just the sleeve as an add-on. XM does so might buy XM hopefully it uses same screws as Dakine. I like that this leash has those yellow floaty things that seems to solve the problem of the leash staying on the water surface so less chance of it wrapping around the mast.

Yes!!! I wasnā€™t a believer until I tried last fallā€¦ Nowā€¦ I will never go back

1 Like

Hey Beavis, yep just tried my Manera foil leash first time today and it felt good. Used the shorter version on prone board. Didnt have any foot/tangle issues out of 5 waves caught. Was previously using the coil and double coil leashes but they were often catching in my toes.

5 Likes

Update: after using the Manera Foil Leash for a few days Iā€™ve found an issue with itā€¦ If the velcro on the ankle strap comes into contact with the bungee part of the leash, it will catch in the threads of the bungee and really start to unravel it. Need to cut off the long unravelled threads and Im not sure if that is going to weaken the leash each time I do that.

1 Like

I have not been ale to perform my test to try and break these leashes yet. I got off one job had 3 days off and had to go right to another for a month or so. But during the 3 days off, I had good wind and was able to wing for 2 of the 3 days. Yes, the manera leash seems to ā€œpillā€ (i think that is the term) a lot of the fibers/material and makes it look shoddy.

• not on this topic, but the kid in the candy store feeling is highly amplified too from just receiving my new 7ā€™7 armie downwind board and MA1750 and not being able to try it out for several weeks* whereā€™s the grumpy face emoji

I am having same issue. If it were not for that I would LOVE this leash. I wrote Manera an email with the feedback. No response. Maybe someone else will figure it out.

Leash snapped, guessing due to now having a carbon mast which I guess is sharper.

1. Can I buy the double coil leash component or some coiled equivalent? XM doesnā€™t seem to do a coil
  2. Anyone backup their leash with some line or something? This was pretty mild conditions but certain times a snapped leash would be an expensive or dangerous mess.

Iā€™m getting to this thread a little bit late, butā€¦ I just got a double coil, and after about four sessions of prone, Iā€™m just gonna use it on the wing. It just got caught under my feet after every pop-up. It is really well made ā€¦but super annoying under ur feet. I much prefer the 5 foot comp leash around the calf. I think the double coil should work fine on the wing board.

The one week I was demoing a double coil I came to the same conclusion. Amazing in a wing board. Arya underfoot on my prone board.

Interesting, I have the 5ā€™ double coil & have had almost zero tangles or issues but on my latest board I had the leash plug installed underneath.

Before that I had issues with leash both coiled & straight every second wave.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone back to this creatures leash, or rather, this one that is the same leash just different brand at much lower price.

So far it has been the cheapest least hassle least tangle leash. Not perfect but Iā€™m at the point now were as long as it isnā€™t between my toes it isnā€™t an issue to just kick it off.

Will just get these until something for prone that canā€™t snap comes along.

I like the 4ft straight kaohi ankle leash. Are there any downsides of that? Would it be unsafe in certain situations?

For me too thin for the conditions, and too short. 5ft x 7mm would be ideal but not available easily. I also prefer a coil but have never tried a 5ft straight leash tbh. 6ft just is always wrapping the stab and for me the absolute worst setup. So many missed waves unwrapping the leash.

If you have predictable conditions where you never get big sets pulling on the setup then totally fine. I find the foil adds a ton more pull and stretches the leashes way more than a surfboard

Iā€™ve been out in overhead waves at swimming pools which seem pretty powerful for a foil and never was too worried as foil boards pretty easy to duck dive. Is it just during bad wipeouts you want to be further away from the board and thus a longer leash is good?

Length: No itā€™s more around the practicalities like paddling the board in upside down etc where even 5ft you have to take the leash off (unless calf then you can keep on, but Iā€™ve gone ankle for prone and waist for wing).

Thickness: lots of sessions where you canā€™t duckdive due to shallow sandbanks etc and have to bail the board. I can duckdive any wave that is remotely foil-able until start bottoming out with 83cm mast and that is only occasionally an issue, but then those waves stretch the shit out of the 7mm leash.

Honestly if it doesnā€™t bother you then there is no issue. Itā€™s pretty unique to circumstances.