Amos Spitfire vs Raptor vs other models

I have a custom spitfire 4’4” 30L at 180 lbs. Paddles well for its size, I could have cut a few liters. It does seem to paddle better when my weight position is very forward on the board. I also like it best with the mast forward in the box so my feet are pretty far forward (quite centered on the board) relative to every other board I have owned. The construction is quite heavy compared to other boards I have had and the foot straps don’t help. I don’t like the tail rocker, so I use a base plate shim which I suspect decreases transfer of energy from my feet to my foil.

1 Like

I got the Raptor 4’6 and love it, only thing i would change is that I got the 4’4 instead. I think it paddled wonderfully, never tried Spitfire

Thanks, I’ve ordered the 4’4 Raptor. Would like to try the spitfire at some point and they both seem great boards but the raptor sounded the safer bet. Maybe next board :grin:

1 Like

Did you ever need to base plate shim your Spitfire? I just got a Spitfire and have been using a Raptor for a while now. It feels super weird, the way the foil works with the board. I cant describe it. Im wondering if the Spitfire deck has an offset angle from the tracks and needs a mast shim to equalize that.

I just changed from a Raptor to a Spitfire and have found the Spitfire to feel a little off, I’m glad I saw your comment about the baseplate shim. Can you elaborate on this, whats the shim exactly? You mean the rocker of the board and the angle of the tracks relative to the deck right? I think I need a baseplate shim to make this feel flat but dont know what degree to go.

In this YouTube Amos talks about how they put some rocker into the spitfire because some of the team riders preferred how that worked with their Lift foils.

In a subsequent podcast (with Erik? Dave West?) Zane Westwood mentioned that he uses a mast shim to take the rocker out.
Frustrating, isn’t it?
The Spitfire is the only one that includes tail rocker, they say in the video.

1 Like

I rode a .5 shim baseplate shim for a long time and just recently tried the 1 degree shim and am loving it. Feel like I have a lot more control in my backfoot again in turns. Everything still pump well and all that but ya I definitly perfer a flat board. For shim orientation the thick side goes in the back to flatten out the spitfire

1 Like

Perfect, I’ve got a friend with a 3d printer whos making me some shims today to try out. I’ll see how that feels.

Amos Kruzer new model: The Kruzer | Foil | Amos Shapes Carbon Foilboards

Looks like a more performance, stretched out Raptor with a cut out in the tail.