Any tips for managing ride height in glassy conditions

I’m continuously working on efficiency of my pumping, which seems to be helped tremendously by staying as high as possible and using more of a quick downward thrust with both legs movement. I struggle with gauging my ride height though, especially if it’s super glassy, while pumping or even just riding waves.
I’ve felt looking at the horizon/waters edge helps, but recently found dockstarting that I’d breach one wingtip just slightly but not enough to throw me off, which was a nice tell of ride height.
What’s everyone doing to stay at that optimum height pumping or riding waves?

1 Like

i’m getting a better feel for that sweet spot. it gets glidey and effortless when you are in the spot and then if you get too close to the surface skatey and sketchy feeling.

1 Like

The glassy conditions thing is real. First time on a glassy lake behind a pontoon boat and I had trouble gauging my height without texture on the water.

Same for me. With time I am getting better at just feeling it. Any lower than 1/4-1/2 in the water and it will feel draggy and heavier. When I’m in that top 1/3 it will feel glidey and accelerate.

Getting that feel is just practice I guess.

1 Like

You have to develop a feeling for the foil at the surface. Some foils have a very friendly shape that lets you approach the surface without breach. You can feel the foil at the surface but it comes down slowly. Some have catastrophic ventilation.

Consider getting some sessions with constant power such as a tow or if you can wing or kite behind a jetty where there is flat water. Purposely try to breach the foil by riding flat, slowly coming closer to the surface. A well designed foil will gently lose lift allowing you to trace the surface.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I’m slowly getting the feel down better. Sometimes get stuck pumping furiously with no hope of getting any feel feedback, but lately been able to stay higher and calm things down enough to get the glide and surface feel.