CT / QS level Foilers, How long til most surfers have foils in there groveling quiver?

I see on instagram Gabriel medina has been foiling and towing outer reefs in Brazil, how long til top 10 CT guys gets fully foil brained?

I feel like in the next few years more and more surfers will start adding foils to the quiver as the sport continues to grow and become more mainstream

Just loaned out some of my extra equipment to a local QS level ripper and he is stoked on flying and learning this summer.

Been foiling just over 1 year now and its completely changed how i look at the ocean for a better. Small weak surf in now FIRING

2 Likes

The website is live.

4 Likes

I have to say since I picked this up a couple years ago the number of foilers at my usual break hasn’t changed much if at all. I’m kind of surprised.

2 Likes

I believe most of them are already foiling (or at least tried) but are not vocal about it.
Surfing can be very “traditional”…

this is rad, always wondered when we’d see this happen. might be the biggest thing to happen in foiling since Kai downwind foiled that chopped SUP

hmm maybe not - they haven’t said anything about it?

Looks cool though, like a “custom” version of the 110X is the interesting one

they all are, they just can’t do it publicly. Surfers (the rabble consumer customer target demographic) are morons

stand corrected, it looks like Gabby doesn’t foil much :smiley:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C8VP6Q9xETy/?hl=en

1 Like

This is wild ! Lift hasnt advertised this at all first time seeing this must have just launched it

2 Likes

I really like the way that John and Nathan framed up their reason for foiling. As John said, “When the waves are bad, we go downwinding. When the waves are good, we go surfing”. Simple, but I bet that same thought process aligns with most of us on this forum that have come to foiling from other disciplines.

I’ve found that there’s basically an inverse relationship between the quality of the conditions from a surfing perspective vs. how much fun I have foiling on that given day. For example, a nuking sideshore foil day generates roughly the same amount of stoke for me that a good swell, offshore surf day would. I think when foiling is framed up this way, it’s pretty easy for surfers to see the benefit. Whether or not they want to go through the learning process to get to that benefit is another story though.

3 Likes

Whether or not you are a good enough surfer to get set waves at pipe is also a factor to consider.

4 Likes

I always found it interesting that the novelty wave genre of surf influencers have yet to touch foils, despite the fact that they go to stupid lengths to surf knee high grovel waves that would all be incredibly fun on a foil.
eg
weird waves
ben gravy

1 Like

I suspect that, like most inflauncers, the majority of their target audience are just “likers” who dont actually surf. Foiling is just too foreign to that audience. Tour- and sponsored free surfers taking up foiling is different matter.

Zeke to axis , Florence to lift , who’s next ?