Had a game changer

So I shaped a gun foil board about 4 years ago. I only go to ride it at J bay and that was 4 months after I had broke my back. I could barely walk and was foiling horrible. Fast forward to today where I finally caught up to my old skill level.

I took it out to surf the outside low tide bar here. I usually struggle to catch them on my normal board 32lts 4’2. Well I had an insane session. Got in super early with very early release. I could drop in waaay deeper at the peak without getting launched. The extra length also let me push way harder at high speed carves. It made it less twitchy which I wasnt expecting. Given it was only head high maybe a couple a hair bigger. It made that session one of my favorites this year.

Board: 5’3 x 18 x 3 Thinned out nose as I cut the rocker in from the bottom with a flat deck. I also basically made short board rails with a hard bevel cut into them. I still havent felt rails like that from anyone. That and the narrow fla botom make a really early and predictable release. It also handled the foam on the inside where I tried to be Pedigo and hit the lip.

All that to say it might be worth having a step up. I will be riding this every session this winter when its head high or bigger and probably every outer bar session at any size.

4 Likes

Epic! Can you share photos of the board?

1 Like

I added two next to my regular 4’4 prone board

1 Like