How to RE-WAX your parawing lines?

Folks,

Been using the Pocket Rocket V2 and the lines have lost their nice crispy feel and now they tend to tangle more… How do we re-wax the lines to make them feel crisp again? Any suggestions or tried and tested approach?

I would think dipping the lines in warmed (liquid) paraffin might do the trick, but is there a better method/approach?

Thanks

1 Like

Good topic. I was wondering about waxing the PR v1 lines to stop them tangling. Or would it make them more sticky?

I would be looking at what you are doing to tangle them and stop doing it.

1 Like

I had the V1 and now I have the V2, and the line thickness and texture do make a difference. I think the V2s are less prone to tangling and also a bit stiffer.

I notice a difference after 25 sessions on the new V2. The lines now feel softer and less stiff, and do tend to tangle more; specially on the 3.0m and 3.5m, which are the ones we use most with my wife.

So you’ve never gone “I wonder how the hell that happened?”

2 Likes

The ozone crowd has a bit of Stockholm syndrome blaming the operator vs the lines themselves for tangles :joy:

1 Like

Ooh, I know why it happened; definitely pilot error :joy:

But still, done plenty of dumbfuckery before and had less tangles on the V2 until lately. It’s all good, if I don’t fall, it’s all good, but I fall because I push it. At any rate, it would be good to have fresh lines

No not really. It surprises me how good they can bind but never surprised it happens or how.

My point is that if you crash and you get a vey unexpected tangle then the lines aren’t going to stop that. Its so infrequent who cares.

But if you are riding with the PW in one hand and the bar in the other or in a holester than that will tangle even the newest lines and its preventable.

In my opinion the stiff lines are actually more trouble than they are worth for packing away. Like trying to pack a way a few slinky’s.

100% I need to improve my stow technique and skills, but in my experience, I prefer the thicker and stiffer lines on my parawing - it feels like it tangles less. I think that is because the lines don’t curl as much as thinner and softer lines; but that’s probably another topic…

To your point, at times I do hold the bar on one hand and the bag on the other, while trying to ride the swell.

What I want to do, if it’s possible, to get that same line feel/characteristic on my used PR V2’s as when they were new.

1 Like

We should try to find out what wax is used in the factories, and what temperature they use to get it in the cords. I presume that this process already happens in the dyneema factory, before it gets to the Parawing factory. The wax needs to be not sticky at all during use.

On the PRV2 if you wish to ride a short swell and redeploy after a few minutes then the below technique almost never ever tangles and i have done this 1000 times.

Collapse the leading edge with the centre lines (4A’s). Leave the so called ears as they are. Hold those lines in back hand and put bar in the same hand horizontally so you are holding the strings and the bar in your back hand. The bar is in the gap of the rose if you know what i mean, horizontally. You can surf till your heart is content in this quick to get to position and redeploy is fast.

2 Likes

I have been using regular candle wax and a hot iron on my kiteboarding bars for 25 years now with no issues. The dark colored lines are waxed

I just coat the lines as if I was waxing a snowboard.

3 Likes

Glide Stick

2 Likes

Outstanding! Glide Stick! Easy enough, specially for the lower A lines. I think the wax approach would also work if you can’t find the Glide Stick.

Thank you for those tips!!

Now that I saw the Glide Stick application I looked in Google and there is a ton of waxes. Could not find a US distributor for it so I will order it from Europe next time I’m back in the US. Heading to Mauritius and I’ll have to improvise…

5 steps…works everytime, 99% of the time.

That’s what i do if i am going to stash it in the pouch but what i do is heaps more practical for short waves.

As a BRM rider I can’t help but think of this Onion clip when watching yout 5 step process to stash

1 Like

Great tip.

Minimum temp on the iron?.

I like this because ironing will surely last longer than just rubbing it in.Just normal candle wax, not ski wax?

I use regular candle wax.

Just enough heat on the iron to melt the candle wax.

1 Like