Skinny skinny or kinds chubby?

Cool interview with Dave Kalama in this interview on the thoughts that went into the E3 board
(around 55min)

how much do you weigh?

I’m 75 kg (165lbs I believe).

1 Like

How rider weight impacts the volume on these long and narrow boards?
I heard a light rider weight doesn’t help as much as water line for generating speed and taking off. So my guess it just changes the board width reducing thickness until it gives enough flotation to paddle and bouncing. Makes sense or is there any other design feature that may help a lighter rider on SUP dw?

1 Like

Yeah I was this close to ordering from Kalama, but I think I’m sticking to winging downwinders for one more winter season before jumping on the DW sup game. I want to see how this shape shakes out for different rider weights and experience levels. I’m only 65kgs so not exactly close to Kalama. I want him to have a season of feedback from riders my weight before ordering.

Plus a buddy of mine has one coming soon so hopefully I get a go on that, at least in flat water.

Super exciting though to have my perspective shift over the past few months over DW SUP.

1 Like

FoilGraham, I have a ONE egg on the way. Your more than welcome to try that out too. Different design than the Barracuda style but we will see how it goes.

2 Likes

Agree here, typical of a new concept the second pass makes some refinements and takes the edges off. Fascinating development and I think huge credit to Dave Kalama for bringing all of this to pass. The interview where he leads into how he came about with the design is really interesting
Stream episode Dave Kalama on Inspiration, Creativity, the Future and Aging by The Progression Project podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud.

Some other cool stuff happening in the world. I wonder if the no-paddle popup will become the new benchmark for DW boards, as you can’t muscle your way up and need to rely more on technique.

This KT board with the proper deep plumb tail is cool.

This looks cool, I like the recessed deck, stubbier shape

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChsKmcxrhKP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 Likes

Anyone used the foil drive system on a barracuda like shape yet?

Hi guys my first post but been reading the threads from the start. I have have just got my 2nd DW SUP board after 2yrs on a 6"4 x 28 130L and now on a 6"6x22.5 107L. The difference is amazing, when I started I wanted stability as i was spending more time paddling than foiling on DW runs due to learning to paddle up on bumps. Now after two seasons and doing l15-20km runs consistently on foil I chose to go a bit longer and narrower. After two runs on the new board and after the sometime geting used to the narrowness I’ve found it way easier to paddle up on foil. My advice would be don’t go too narrow if you dont have good sup skills as a foundation. i came to sup foil from SUP surfing 95l narrow customs surf sups and years on DW racing on 14’s and inlimited SUPS. My stats are 49yrs old 5"7’ 83kgs and from windy Western Australia
pics if my latest board Ben De Chaneet (@bender73_) • Instagram photos and videos
my first build

7 Likes

Testing my 7’6 in different conditions, so far so good :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjTfkPOglOk/?hl=en

4 Likes

Any thoughts on sharpness of rails? Reading up about some low speed windsurf foil threads and seemingly a sharp edge in the back 1/3 of a board can make a significant difference. These windsurf tails are much more square so I wonder if the sharp rail considerations apply?

b) make sure the edges under the back third of the board are crisp, use a glass qcell/microsphere bog and get all the edges nice and crisp. If water beads up on the bottom, wet sand to 600.

Equally windsurfers recommend wet sanding to above 600 grit (water should not bead on deck apparently) but perhaps this is more a high speed thing?

I have had a Kalama Barracuda, 8’0” x 19”, for a year now and I can tell you it will be infinitely easier to learn on. I did my first downwind run in 2017 on a 6’10”x24” then I went to a 6’0”x 26 and then a 5’10”x23 all around 100L. 5 years into the process and I would still have days that took me 5+ min to lift. The barracuda is not a board that I can surf up and paddle out sideways to the win, but turn it downwind and it’s not tough to stand on. The length gives in a ton of stability. The Barracuda is everywhere on Maui. People are going out and lifting and having sorta successful downwind runs on their first try. Don’t mess around go get a Long skinny board. Get a board from dave if you can. There is more there than just long and skinny. They turn great, they are so fun to surf in big waves and small. You’re gonna be blow away. Worth every penny!

5 Likes

Hey thanks for these great insights. My barra comes in 2 weeks and while I am nervous you just really added to the expectation. Like waiting for Santa.

Are you happy with the sizing and how does the volume compare to your weight.

2 Likes

I probably have a bit more volume than I need. I think mine is a little over 105L and I weight 165lbs. If it sat a bit lower in the water it would be more stable. No worries, you got this!

2 Likes

That’s great info.
I am only 140 and have the 7’8 92 liter so very similar ratio of weight to volume as you. 1.43 x my weight in kgs for liters.

:smiley:

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, narrower boards can provide more stability when riding downwind waves, but they do require more skill to balance on compared to wider boards.

As for the specifics of the board, I’m not sure about the laminate schedule or if there are stringers for the standing area. However, if Dave is recommending the skinny Kalamas as an easier board to learn on, it’s possible that the shape and design of the board make it more forgiving for beginners. That being said, learning to ride downwind waves on any board will still take time and practice.

In terms of choosing a board size for your first SUP, a 6’8" x 24" board is certainly on the smaller side, and may be more challenging for a beginner to balance on. A 7’2" x 22" board could be a good compromise, as it offers a bit more length for stability while still being narrow enough to handle downwind waves.

Don’t be too hard on yourself for wanting to try downwind SUP, even if it’s a challenging pursuit!

I have almost the same ratio for 80 kg. Interesting. I’m wondering if this ratio stays the same at different kg.