Very short mast for beach breaks?

Hey sorry if this has been covered, new here and couldn’t find anything. I’m pretty new to foiling, I’ve got a unifoil progression 170 with a 75cm mast and I have a problem with bottoming out on sandbars when paddling into a wave. Our waves (I foil the Space coast, mostly cocoa beach) have been great for foiling lately, about thigh/waist high and soft but just punchy enough to catch on a foil. However, at low to low/mid tide, the only time waves are punchy enough to catch, I hit the bottom when paddling into the wave, it goes from about chest deep to waist deep when the wave comes in and I get stuck. Is this a typical issue or am I missing something? Would it make sense to get a 65cm mast? Also can I attach my progression foil to an aluminum mast? The connection looks different in photos and I’ve never seen one in person. Thanks!

I really enjoyed using my 65 cm mast proning last winter in Fla. It opened up lots of small, shallow (user friendly easy) sessions where I normally wouldn’t go out. Of course I’d rather use the longer one if I could, but you can learn to control your height (breaching) and the pump is great. I justified the purchase by using it for getting into dock/pump foiling as well, and have no regrets- especially since that’s all I can do for six months while an injury heals. I think it forces you to learn to ride more efficiently, with the foil closer to the surface

Hi,

I also have a 75 cm mast, and when I was learning to foil on my local beach break, I kept hitting the bottom around low tide and started asking myself the same question as you. However, the more you progress, the quicker you’ll take off, and you’ll touch the bottom less and less. Then, you’ll start carving, riding higher on your mast, and surfing the wave more, and you’ll see that the mast length (within reason) becomes your ally!

Hitting the bottom and feeling “stuck” is definitely frustrating, but it will happen less and less over time, and I don’t think it’s worth investing in a 65 cm mast. You’re lucky to be starting on sand, so you won’t damage your wing too much when it touches, and you can keep trying :facepunch:
Today, I still have my 75 cm mast, but if I could, I would have gotten an 80 cm a long time ago!

Aluminum masts are cheap enough to experiment usually. In waist deep water I normally just stand next to my board and then when the wave get’s to me, jump onto my belly, 1 or two paddles and pop up. This keeps me at the top of the wave and allows me to get on foil before I bottom out.

1 Like

Agreed on the technique. Another thing id add is board choice is important. The difference between a standard prone mast (75) and a short one (70) is 2”. A micro board will sit that much deeper in the water compared to something with a little more volume so think about more board - not for paddling or catching waves - just for keeping the damn thing off the bottom

3 Likes

Hey thanks for the reply, I’ve tried that but it makes me nervous since in case it’s not clear, I’m touching the bottom when laying on the board in front of the wave waiting to catch it, so turning and jumping into the wave I think I can potentially land on the foil against the sandbar if my timing is a little off.

Yeah but that way your not floating there in the trough. You kind of hop on as the wave is picking you up. And don’t stress about the bottom I hit it CONSTANTLY. Sometimes I even will leverage my tail on the sand and kind of push off the bottom as the wave is picking me up.

2 Likes

If the bottom is sand, who cares if you hit the bottom. If the bottom is cobblestone, well still who cares. Scratches on your foil don’t really matter.

If you’re worried about hurting your mast or board. I present this argument. Pretty sure your gear will be fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-S7zZBIZ-c/

I fully get the water sucks out and you dry dock thing. Just stand next to your board, hold it with your hands on the rails. When the wave get’s to you and stands up, jump forward and onto the board at the top of the wave. Then you won’t have to ride a short mast and nurse your turns because a wingtip is coming out.

There’s a guy who rides an 18 inch mast at first point Malibu because it’s too shallow to foil there. I don’t get it myself, but he is out there having fun when others aren’t. So there’s something to be said about short masts.

2 Likes

Is it really not that big a deal for it to hit the sand? Obviously not at speed of course, but bottoming out in front in the wave isn’t too dangerous for the foil? Truthfully thats my only real concern, it doesn’t prevent me from catching the wave since I just wait for the wave to hit me then catch it. It’s just such an expensive piece of gear and seems delicate, but maybe it’s not THAT delicate. I’ve foiled maybe 5-6 times total so I’m really pretty new to it.

1 Like

Oh wow good to know, my biggest concern is damaging the gear so that’s a relief.

What gear is it? Some is more fragile than others. But yeah, it’s way more robust than a surfboard for example. Usually, if it’s just sand, you’re fine.

Hitting a sandbar at full speed is something that happens somewhat regularly in wind sports. It’s very little impact on the board. Imagine how much more pressure is going into the board and fuse on that Instagram I posted above. Guys are doing that regularly. Freestyle winging does break gear. But it’s not that often.

Agree with the technique developing to avoid this. I ride an 85cm mast and still manage about chest to stomach deep takeoffs but standing next to the board holding it off the sand, waiting for the wave to hit and then jumping with the wave. Timing is critical, but if you use that first energy to get immediately onto foil then you clear the sand.

Hitting sand isn’t an issue, it will rub your tips quite badly but no real issue in performance.

I will say that the jump for me from 75cm to 85cm was really noticeable at first (needed to recalibrate, timing was more critical for flat days), and I think you will find the jump down to 65cm really makes your life much easier on these days. For me these sessions are 1 in 20 so not worth it, but if it was 19 in 20 then I’d buy the smaller mast.

I picked up a 60cm Axis mast with the Unifoil adapter. Not very expensive and a nice tool to have. Yesterday, I got an early morning session with Foildrive and an 85cm mast. At dead low tide in the afternoon, looked like a good paddle in session on a short mast. Put the 60cm on and had a real fun session. Missed a few takeoffs that were steeper with a bit more power, but never breached while pumping, could pump around and connect a bunch of waves. I would not have got to do this without the short mast. I mostly foildrive, due to my local break. Always look to paddle first, if conditions allow. If you don’t mind spending a few $, a good tool to have. The adapter seemed to be less $ directly from Unifoil.

1 Like

Another fun 60cm mast day. Shore Runner loops in gutless surf. Good workout and work on pump technique.

1 Like

I just got the same setup, honestly a game changer, so glad I got it. Makes our ultra shallow sandbars waayyyy more manageable.

1 Like