Wing Board Volume after 95L

Hi folks - considering making my next move down on a wingfoil board from a 95L Fanatic. I started on a 115L and moved to this and I’m tempted to move down to ~70L board. I tried my 50L (big jump down I know) prone board a few weeks ago and couldn’t even stand up so wondering what people here would recommend. I’ve heard 75L would be logical and have been eyeing the 68L Amundson but curious if it’s too big of a jump down. I weigh 175lb if that helps. Thanks

I weigh 175-180. My first recommendation is to keep trying on the 50L because you should be able to make that board work with enough wind. And if you can get the 50L to work, your next board should be around 75L (use the 50L above ~16-18 knots and the 75L below). Try a 1-1.5m bigger wing than you think you are going to need with the small board. If you cant get the 50L to work, then you should get something in the 60-70L range.

Started on 115L and sold it after a couple months. Moved down to a 90L for the next six months, then bought a 60L. I kept the 90L, but use the 60L almost all the time now. I only bother with the 90L when its less than ~13 knots (and I don’t go out in those conditions much). In an ideal world I would probably have a 50L and a 75-80L, but that’s more just to split the use between the board quiver more evenly.

Once you figure out how to start on the low volume board, its all you are going to want to use. It will take some practice and you will blow a few sessions, but after 4 sessions or so you should be good to go.

Shape also matters just as much as volume. Don’t go too short or too wide. I like 22-23" wide and 4’8-4’10 length for waves and freestyle. The extra length and narrower width are sportier and add efficiency, getting you onto foil faster.

2 Likes

I think I’ll definitely give the 50L a few more goes. If it was a flatter day I think it would’ve been a lot easier, just couldn’t keep it balanced on my knees in the chop. Part of me wants to just go to the 68L and skip the 75L. Maybe even go down to a 60L as you did. Thanks for this reply super helpful.

Wait for a good day and keep trying the 50. Watch examples of the “stinkbug” start. Wait for good gusts and if you are doing it right, you shouldn’t be on your knees for long. It becomes second nature.

In an ideal world you can fit the 50L into your wing quiver. 50/70-75 would be perfect once you get the hang of it - just going to take practice. IMO, if you went in the 60-65 range you will have a great utility board, but 50/60-65 doesn’t make a lot of sense if you are trying to maximize the quiver.

1 Like

Great point. I don’t have a lot of storage space so really trying to limit my quiver to two boards. The only reason I would want to have 3 is if I wanted to downwind on a SUP.

I agree a lot with what was said above ^ especially the fact the shape makes a huge difference in stability and performance! One thing I would add too is I have found that in my experience that there is a “in between” volume range out there for a lot of people that gives you the most instability when starting. this volume is the size that doesn’t really float but also doesn’t fully sink enough to not be affect by the little wind chop on the surface.

Hard to say what that volume is for everyone but at my weight (70Kgs) the “problem size” is right at that 55-60L mark (absolutely do able but more work than it needs to be). I have landed on a 50L as my daily driver it works great! Just enough float that I don’t need to rig a bigger wing to get going than I normally would but also plenty small to feel really agile and connected to the foil!

Hope you find one that works well!

3 Likes

What I would suggest is putting your weight in Kg.

So you are about 80Kg. So a 95L board for you is a nice to have, it’s about 18% over your weight in Kg or 118% your weight. Anything more 110%, you can come back home in any wind, even if the wind drop completely you can still stand-up and wait for the next gust. Easy to schlog in super hard conditions, waves etc

After, there is the 80L would be 0L or 100% your weight. This is also pretty good in low wind, if wind completely shut down or not enough to let fly your wing, then you can probably stand up…will eventually fall if a wake boat pass or tired after 2min of wait.

Next step would be the about 80% your weight, so that is around 65L. That would be a one board quiver for me if I would need to pick one board…close to the 100% my weight… if you don’t mind sitting if wind is not enough and as soon as there is any movement forward…so enough to make you move, you will foil. If wind is super gusty…and wind go too low in lulls to move fwd, you will sink and fall. So it’s annoying…in gusty conditions the 100 and 118% is less tiring…so make sure you are honest with what you need.

If wind is rather constant, I would skip the 80% and go direct to the 60%-65% your weight,so about 50L. That is easier to start in rough condition than the 80%…but you need a bit more wind in your wing to take off.

On all board I use the knee start. Good luck.(75KG 48 and 60L boards)

3 Likes

This is very helpful and a good way to think about it thanks for this. I’m tempted to go the 65L-70L route to play it safe for now. The typical locations I go to for the most part have consistent wind. One spot I’m mainly at is pretty notorious for folks needing a rescue on low volume boards when the wind dies which is causing most of my hesitation to go straight to the 50L. Thanks again

Agree with this, I recently learnt to wing and found it super easy to get up and going from prone and kiting background, so much so that I spent a few hours on a 100L board (which I could stand easily) and then next session on 66L. The board felt too small to properly “stink-bug”, but too big to properly sink (~70kg). I got the hang of it after a few goes, and it was important to just quickly get the wing flying. Once up and flying the board was just so much more responsive that I would never bother again with a bigger board I don’t think.

It felt that if I could go lower in volume, I wouldn’t have that awkward transition, and could try the semi-sink start. Will be testing the lower bounds of this with a few prone boards, and probably make use of the straps

I am going to cast my vote for the 50L also. Recently I transitioned from a 90L slingshot wing board to my 50L KT prone board for most of my winging. I’m 200ibs (90kg) and find that in a lot of instances, it is easier to get up and flying on the 50L. The shorter length allows more angle on the foil when pumping up off the water. It also feels like it “releases” better and as was already mentioned, if is sinks a bit, it is under some of the surface chop which can help.

This all being said, I was over on Oahu last week, and the wind was just to light for me to make winging work. Was my first true “shocker” session. I do wonder if I had had my 90L, if I would have been more successful???

If it’s windy, go small (I’m looking at going down to something in the mid 30L) and if it is not windy, stay on something close to L/body kg. This is my current thinking.

Brent

2 Likes

Haha are you me? The 50L board I have is also the KT. I think I’ll definitely stick with the 50L until I figure it out and then decide if I’d want a second light wind board that can get going in light wind. Were you in Kailua? Was in Oahu over the summer and will be there again in December I know what you mean with the wind there can be flukey.

Twinning for the win, lol!

Yep, Kailua, seems like a good spot, but I am used to a good stiff Oregon coast wind and those warm puffs just weren’t enough!

I’m considering a little larger volume inflatable wing board for traveling, along with my 50L KT.

I would keep your 90L for the light days and stick with your 50L (or smaller) for the days when the wind is filled in. When it is windy, it is hard to go wrong with the small board.

1 Like

I think it’s better to kneel start the 80% board(my case 75kg - 60L) and sit and wait to have enough force in your wing to go from sit to knee in one hop with a 60%L (75kg - 48L) in big choppy conditions using your wing. You can also use that method with 80% of you weight in volume at the beg. More you do it, more you can later just kneel and start it as is. As soon as you grab your wing and you have enough force to move fwd, it will unsink the board and it will become more stable and easy to go from kneel to standup and from there it’s easier to unstick the board from the water and also easier to pump the foil, smaller board more direct pumping.

2 Likes

Just at this stage myself. 75kg and went from a 99L to a 60L. This puts me at negatively buoyant with my full weight standing/kneeilng on the board, although I’m usually corked off before I sink it if the wind support isn’t there. There is a learning curve to starting, and my own practice is to start straddling or flat (swell/chop dependant) > knees > feet. It is all a waiting game based on getting enough support in the canopy to provide stability in the next position. It definitely is tougher in fickle/low wind conditions, and my 99L board still has a place in my quiver for cold water riding or lighter winds where I need a bigger margin of safety. The pump efficiency and connectedness is soooo nice c/w the bigger board, so if the conditions are ripe, it’ll b my go to. I’m curious as to when other riders have jumped even smaller? What size based on weight and what is your lower wind tolerance for a true sinker? Shout out to Sam at Big Winds for sorting me out on all this stuff!

2 Likes

Send it on the 50L, believe in yourself

2 Likes

When you say sit to kneel do you mean straddle then move to knees once you get some juice in the wing? Might have to work on my flexibility if you start from a straddle haha.

Yeah I’m now leaning towards keeping this 95L for lighter/flukier wind days. Sucks that our wind season just ended in Northern CA as I feel like if I dedicated a week straight to sucking on the 50L I could start to get the hang of it. Thanks for the response!

He might be talking about this style which is what I do and it’s not bad at all. Personally, I want to be sure it’s easy, since if it’s not you tend to safely foil a lot, I’d rather try stuff.

1 Like

Second sticking with the 50L for now! If your local spot doesn’t get very strong winds then eventually finding a larger volume board for lighter days would be the move if your into that. I exclusively use a 45L escape pod for winging and prone surf but usually have winds over 15knts. This clip shows three start variations that work well for consistency:

3 Likes

This is great stuff thank you!