Are eFoils worth the $$?

I spent a fair bit of time away from waves or buddies to drive boats this summer, and when the wind wasn’t there I’d etow with my takuma. I found it to be a hoot. Being straight behind it with little turbulence I could carve like crazy on my prone board. I could also test tweaks easily as well as let go and pump next to it to stay in range, so when I stopped it’d be right there.

Edit: just remove foil and attach rope to back of fuse. Pull rope to right to make it go left, etc.

1 Like

Doubt this link will work, but video and photos of the setup you describe, for Lift. This answers a question I had, how to fly it without front wing, when lift has the fuselage and 2 wings all connected. This rider made an aluminum mount.

2 Likes

Hi guys, I started winging, then I got foil drive. I went from a 90L wingboard to a 40L prone board w/ FD. I havent touched the wing since I got FD, the reason being I get a much better workout in an hour pumping session versus 6 hours winging (mowing the lawn). Plus the winging on 90L doesnt help much with surf foil goals. I was pumping 2 min on the 40L w/ 1300 axis using small batt (mid-side position). You can get 10-15 launches off a single small battery, and you should be able to do a minute each launch. Trust me you will be toast pretty quick, but it really helps you understand how a foils works, unlike winging. All it took was 2 weeks behind a boat, and I was proning like an intermediate basically on day 1. The foil drive is invaluable as a training tool. Now I am still going to use foil drive, but as a training tool for drawing lines on waves. Actually in order to takeoff on a foil such as 1099, you need to catch a breaking wave 2ft, and you have to do a prone takeoff which is the same as a normal prone takeoff, as you want to release the trigger the moment your board starts planing. Once ur up, you can go the full 20 minutes, catching 30 waves. Its like 6 months of foiling waves in one session. Obviously, its cheating, so you want to do this away from lineups as its still technically efoiling, although the feeling is 75%+ to a normal foil.

Considering you can get a 170hp ski that will do 80mph and tow four people up at the same time for the same $… right now at least it’s just a toy for the uber wealthy.

1 Like

I feel like a $400 boost fin could be worth it for catching unbroken waves.

You’d have to mount an additional box in your board though.

You’ve nailed it Meow, FD+ on a small board is virtually a new sport, it isn’t efoil or pump, but a mixture of both. It allows us older blokes to learn pump without a dock, which would probably be impossible for us anyway. It’s a great cardio workout, I don’t even use the battery up in a session as I’m usually toast after 20 mins though the battery will last up to 50 mins in pump mode.
No need to wait for wind anymore, a session can be had anytime of day so very family friendly.
I’m on a 32ltr board with the PNG1300, great setup.

2 Likes