Bigger volume boards

I’m 85kg+ , experiencer sufer, and I have been riding the 29L and I have found it easy to get into waves in Fiji. Headhigh and under. For overhead+ waves I am finding it hard to paddle into the wave if I’m on the shoulder. Takeoffs are the same on any board it’s just the volume helps you get into perfect position in case your a bit on the shoulder.

For my normal surfing, I always use a 48l mid length board when it’s 1.5x+ OH. It just helps me navigate the lineup a bit better. If I’m on a 35L board, the issue is just being more out of position and missing more waves. When waves are smaller, a smaller short board is fine as usually the takeoff zones are more consistent than on bigger days.

I feel like the same applies for prone foiling, So if I’m going to be tackling bigger waves prone, I know the 29L is going to mean alot more missed waves and caught inside. Logic says a mid length 50l board would be good just like I’m using for normal surfing.

However, mid lengths and higher volume prone boards are being advertised as boards that help you catch smaller or unbreaking waves. Is that just the marketing machine targeting the biggest market? Or are bigger boards “designed” to get into smaller waves, rather than the other way around

1 Like