Crazy fun on "old" gear

So, I have a (growing) collection of the latest/greatest surf wings. This morning I was too lazy to unpack/rig them so just grabbed the first wing and mast from the old “board room”. This wing i’ve been slightly disappointed with in the past. It did not provide the pump and turning I was looking for in small waves when I bought it 2 years ago. Today in glassy 2-3ft beachy it just put a massive smile on my face. Pumping as well as the awesome latest, greatest other surf wings, super low stall speed and even recovered from a tip breach without any fuss. It could be the DIY stiffened 75cm mast (previously only use it on 83cm older gen mast). Maybe it’s the odd combo on backfooted tail with a 1deg shim. No idea but it felt perfect, easy and fun.

Had a similar experience with another smaller wing in the same line - Hyper 150. Exhilarating speed, turning, accessible fun.

Both these wings I picked up for an absolute steal. And they will not be gathering dust anytime soon.
Not another Uni fanboy post - seriously interested if other’s experienced the same on any other gear. Stiffer mast or new tail combo revitalizing “old” wings. Or can a marginal progress in skills make “old” gear more fun?

I have the same 190, currently listed for sale after picking it up for a steal and selling for even more of a steal but zero interest. I didn’t love it winging nor prone as it just didn’t have much on the progression 140. Maybe I should give it another go as I didn’t give it too many sessions. I didn’t have such a good experience winging, instant bails on tip breaches and I think that was what settled it for me.

Interesting you mention the 140. That’s the other wing i had high hopes for but still not doing it for me. The 190 H1 was also on the way to the bargain bin, superceded by the amazing P170. Until today. Sam3 or better low end. Noice pitch stability and… Just very interesting how older gear with the right tuning can still produce the goods.

1 Like

I broke a foil (and lost it) on a trip and had to borrow a Cabrinha Fusion (think it was an x1300). It had basically zero glide, but it could RIP a turn. I think it had an AR of 4, which I had never used before and it was fun for some things (and not fun for others). Point is that it is fun to try gear that is very different than what you are used to. As bad as that setup was, I think four days on that foil made me a better foiler.

Also, with several comments on the Hyper 190 above - I maintain that the H2 190 is an excellent foil that doesn’t get the love it deserves. I wouldn’t say the same of all sizes in the range, but the 190 seems to work well for a very broad spectrum of conditions and usages.

Interesting concept - foreign gear in unknown conditions making a better foiler. Seems it’s always worth experimenting.

I’ll nominate the original Lift Surf 200. Doesn’t pump but (especially with a 34 surf tail) super carvy and fun.

Was gathering dust until we put it on for winging and efoiling. Super rad (if a bit slow).

2 Likes

Might be that for certain conditions slower (older) is better.

1 Like