Foiling injuries - post them

Foiling for 4 years and early in it was mostly shin bumps. Proning one day I jumped off the board in way to shallow of water and my rubber band ankle exploded. Sprained atf that took about 8 weeks of rehabbing to get back to my norm. Had to force myself to pop up differently when winging and proning.

Last big injury was in the fall, mostly superficial, but walking back in from a session mistimed a shore break and set. Really just a mistake on my part. With my wing and board setup was rolled. The foil shaved my thigh like gyro meat.

1 Like

Just picked up a new impact vest that I’m really digging. Lighter and lower profile than anything else I’ve seen and has decent protection that extends pretty far down my torso. It is built for wakeboarding and the impact protection isn’t the thickest, but it strikes a good balance of protection / flexibility for my needs. Fits very snug. I found it for $130.

My friend got his cheek gashed to the bone by foil a few weeks ago winging.

Could have tore his eye out if it was an inch higher.

1 Like

Riding razor sharp Gong foils 2 weeks ago. Freak weird taco.
I dulled the trailing edges since.

Met a French lady who cut her calf so deep with the F-one tail about 2 months ago, she required extensive stitching and 1 unit of blood

1 Like

So far my worst injury has probably been a sprained ankle when I scorpioned with a foot stuck in the strap. I would think straps make injury more likely in a crash, as you are less able to eject the board away from you.

I’ve made a habit of:

1. when taco-ing trying to get a hand on the mast near the fuse to push it under

2. crossing my forearms over my face when I don’t have control of the board

Whoops. 9 Staples. Have had a few hits and cuts, but t

his one was a little worse. :rofl:

3 Likes

2 Likes

I have no qualms about taking my trailing edges to the sand paper these days.
Lose a knot at the top end but save a trip to the doctor .

Hit my Gofoils multiple times, nothing ever happened.
Hit my not yet dulled Gong once and I have a big gash. Even my recoil leash got almost completely cut when hit the Gong stab.

Cedrus masts are awesome for that with the hard rubber like trailing edge. Zero risk.

1 Like