Natural goofy stance, natural right side paddle - what to do?

I’m DW-curious, coming in with a good bit of experience winging (and a little prone experience), skateboarding, surfing etc. In all of these sports I’m naturally a goofy stance. I can wing in a regular stance, and am comfortable getting up that way (pumping board out of the water), but I’m far better goofy. Wouldn’t dare try surfing or skateboarding regular stance.

I also have a long distant competitive background in paddle sports where I was natural paddling on my right side. I have a solid J stroke and good power on that side, engrained in my muscle memory. Paddling on my left side wouldn’t be starting from square one, but it would take a lot of learning.

Which leads to the obvious issue - my stance and my natural paddling side do not align. This mismatch is what has kept me from trying DW or sup for a few years.

Has anyone else encountered this? My inclination is just to learn to paddle on my left side, but the other option might be to use my natural and more powerful paddling side, then foot switch (which I should be able to pull off).

Curious to hear how anyone else has dealt with this. Which should I prioritize - paddle skill/power or board skill/ balance?

Learning to paddle on both sides is waaaaaaayyyyy easier than switching feet. You will only need 10+/- strokes to get up then you’re done with the paddle kind of. The J-stroke is not as crucial when paddling a long skinny because it tracks so well you don’t really need to compensate. Or just learn to switch feet and paddle and be a better man all around.

1 Like

If you SUP for anytime at all you’ll pick up paddling on both sides pretty quickly. Sizing your paddle to eye level rather than over head helps a lot.

1 Like

I’m a goofy footer with a right side dominant paddle stroke. If you put in the time on the SUP you will figure it out. Don’t be afraid to go out there and suck for a while. DW is all about the journey!

1 Like

I’m the same but opposite. With several years of SUP padding experience my right, while weaker than my left, was still competent. After several sessions, and given how difficult SUP foil is, I didn’t really notice.

1 Like