Downwind board balance

Standing out in the chop wiggling around like a drunk vertigo victim… does it get easier with time or will I always barely maintain balance and then fall off right as a bump starts to form. The litany of curse words today was impressive.

5 Likes

It’s supposed to get better and you will learn to use your paddle as your balancing aid. Proper paddle technique will have your paddle be stuck in the water like a pole stuck in concrete.

Keep trying, keep working, you will get used to it but don’t expect to be easy.

1 Like

Do you use staguered feet positioning? This will help you a lot, and yes, you require hours suffering in the water till your balance gets dialed in get a lot more efficient at it, either way with narrow DW boards it’s pretty common to fall several times.

Cheat for a while with a Foil Drive www.foildrive.com.au - I’m in the 60+ crew and I’m sure there’s no way I would have learned SUP foil without it.

1 Like

As an update since I posted this… I’ve been going out multiple times a week and the balancing struggle is pretty much a non issue anymore. Hopefully that’s encouragement for anyone else starting from absolute zero on a sup.

12 Likes