Next foil Setup - less carve more pivot- "flying the foil"

@TooMuchEpoxy is this what you mean by skatie feel?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkCob2WDlYn/

Hard to say how that foil feels, for sure thats some loose looking, pivot focused riding.

I just donā€™t think the 850 is a good fit for me in the gofoil world. At that span id have to commit to the 80 mast(which is too long for my daily). Also, 850 is just too small to live with on our smallest days here (at my weight).

The lift 120 is my daily now and iā€™m honestly hunting for something more MA. For my waves and breaks i need to be riding a little shorter mast than 80 which means my span shold be a little more compact to match. All i loose in that trade is glide and iā€™m fine with supplanting with a little cardio.

Also, the gofoil sizing/models are just all over the place. Very little consistency in the RS line so its not like you can dial one wing and expect similar tuning or feels with anything else in the line.

Try the ha90. I much prefer it to the ha120.

Iā€™ll get right on that!

Give us the report when you can!

Ended up going with a Cedrus mast(aluminum now, carbon on the way), a Cabrinha 1200/1000 and a KD 13ā€. Feels nice and skatey! Iā€™ve got the tails shimmed to the moon for more speed less lift, mast slammed forward.

I thought the 1200 was good but then I rode the 1000 and was blown away. Nice stiff setup, feels great in turns and has just enough glide. Doesnt trip over itself in that countersteer turn, nice and snappy and loose. Predictable. Wants to be pushed into more critical sections. Also the price is right.

2 Likes

Second update - Iā€™ve got the carbon Cedrus now and itā€™s great to carry around but I can only barely tell a difference from the aluminum. Itā€™s not a significant difference maybe a HAIR more responsive but not significantly. Just get the AL one and fill it with canned foam from Loweā€™s.

The Cab foils are great. The 1000 is my go-to, I barely touch the 1200. Riding my own 12ā€ flat tail shimmed up 2 deg from stock.

love the cab gear but Iā€™m finding the Cedrus mast a little slow on the 1000. At a certain point that extra drag is a factor and itā€™s definately at 1000. I prefer the 1000 to the 1200 enough Iā€™m still finding myself on the 1000 almost exclusively and at my weight Iā€™m grateful for the Cedrus stiffness and reliability.

Youā€™ve got to try the h800. Shape is similar to the 120, but the foil section gives it more low end. I also ride it with Cedrus and agree that the stiffness / speed is a trade off but it works for me.

Get ā€˜em while you can because the larger size Cabrinhas are getting more span in 2023. 700 and 850 sizes should be sweet though.

Iā€™ve already got a lift 120! :joy:

Seriously tho at my weight and waves the 1000 is plenty small.

I guess for prone surfing, a super wide HA foil at 1000-1200cm2 who are over 95cm wide for 10 aspect ratio could be harder to turnā€¦probably better under 90cm wide?

So, it seems to have a needs for 7-8 ar foil for wavesā€¦wing or prone surfing. Iā€™m wondering how many prefer mid A.R. foil over H.A.(pretending HA is 10 and over) foil who are shortboarder in surfing? Does that mid AR foil provide you a closer feeling to what shortboard was providing you? Now those who prefers HA foil, were you a shorboarder? I wonder if there is a relationship with surfing and preference of A.R. based on passed experience with surfing? Iā€™m aware there is more than just A.R. in a foil.

I find aspect ratio to be a pretty useless number. Span is the number for me, followed by area. Span wins because for a given span, if you adjst chord/area what you gain or loose in speed you also gain or loose in the need for speed, meanwhile the roll is consistent between them. Thats why all those Lift HAs of the same span are so predictable moving from one to the other despite radically different ARs. I think proportional sizing (keeping AR the same for different sizes) makes alot less sense and makes things less predictable across the range(but probably more acomodating giving different riders the same feels)

900 span is my sweet spot so for that reason alone Cab wins.

1 Like

Lift HA90 32.5", HA120 35", and HA170 37", are all different spans. Itā€™ll be interesting to see what the spans of the new ones coming out end up being.

With the exception of the 90(which is getting pretty extreme on the small side) theyā€™re all pretty much the same. You can absolutely say through the range the span stays the same more than it changes and they vary the chord to produce the different sizes.

Yeah I do think span is an important number to refer to. I remember when I started wingning I was starting to do jibes etc with a 1250cm2 foilā€¦the foil I learned on. I sold completely my gear to buy a new version of foil and a smaller board. They told me to go to 1800 for my level(165lbs). So I bought a 1800 and a 1300cm2 foil for winging. With the 1800 I couldnā€™t jibe at all, I had the feeling the foil wasnā€™t rolling and I wasā€¦ One that day I swapped to the 1300cm and was back to my normal rate on jibing.

However, having a same span for a line is proabaly targeting the 175lbs rider. I assume at 150 or 220lbsā€¦you would require a different span as a go to?

If Iā€™m targeting the same feelsā€¦ I mean 900 for me is different than 900 for a smaller rider I guess

Just wait 3 months and get one of the newest generation foils (cabrinha, unifoil, etc)

As usual they are all going to be better than the current generation in every single way.

1 Like

Update! Cab 1000 and 1200 both killed (Cracked fuse) inside 2 months. Cab was great about the warranty but i gotta move on (for their sake atleast!). Loved the way they rode but i guess im too much of an animal!

Going back to kujira, this time 1095. Custom stringy fuse - stronger alloy, direct cedrus mast connect on order. If i kill the wing iā€™ll probably give the 1210 another go before going back to gofoil.

1 Like

If you killed the Cabrinhas Iā€™d give the Takuma a short lifespan. Try the Unifoils if you need something beefier.

Onofoil m800. Crazy good sale on them right now. Thereā€™s a cedrus adapter too.

At 80kg and riding mostly strapless, I cracked the 1095 (wing to fuse), H1000 (fuse), H800 (wing to fuse) and H650 (fuse) all within a few months. The warrantied 1095 seem to be holding better. The warrantied H800 is ~20% heavier so they prob added some carbon and its holding great so far. Construction is probably upgraded without signaling those changes officially.