Next foil Setup - less carve more pivot- "flying the foil"

I previously had a 1210 which held up fine except for the fuse so I think I’ll give ‘em a chance with the stronger alloy custom fuse and bonding the wing fuse connection with epoxy(should also protect that area from cracking). Gonna see how it goes.

As for the Onofoil lots of “Max rider weight 200lbs” - nothing like being told “Fuck off fattie” right on the website!

Curious about the uni - that mast fuse connection always felt like a failure point, kind of a small and thin connection there, hard corners prone to cracking. Interested whether the new mast/cedrus is causing problems. Make one thing stiffer something else is
going to fail.

I’m not convinced a good mast fuse connection exists besides a clean butt joint on an aluminum connection. Best mast fuse connection is no mast fuse connection. Gofoil is still the winner there. Only foil I’ve not had a problem with.

100% agree on the butt joint, but other people b!tch about that aspect of the Cedrus design. No tight tolerances to loosen, bombproof bolts, no issues. I don’t think the butt would work on a narrower mast than the Cedrus though - you need the larger point of contact and enough width for those beefy bolts.

I was also on Cedrus > Stringy > Takuma. The Cedrus > Stringy is not an issue. It’s the Stringy > Takuma connection that is sloppy. It’s an engineering issue, not an issue with the Stringy fitment (stock fuse was sloppier). When you get slop there it puts stress on the feeble m6s and they will sheer. Been there done that. Only thing that worked has an aluminum can shim that ran the length of the connection and almost fully wrapped the fuse head.

For what it’s worth, my 1095 has held up well. It’s the connection that has been an issue.

Freestyle wing buddy who is over 200 lbs has cracked a katana mast but not his vyper 150.

He did crack an axis 1050 too. And other stuff I can’t remember. Freestyle destroys gear.

Yeah, I’m gonna fix the fuse to wing slop issue by getting a stub fuse (detachable rear section for travel) made. This way I’ll permanently bond the 1095 to the fuse, not even run hardware for the wing connection. Also enables a lighter rear fuse, probably cabrinha style on that connection

1 Like

I think you and I would get on splendidly.

If you want a stringy fuse for cedrus and a1095 for a good price send me a note. I’ve got the extra strength 7075 fuse that I don’t think he makes anymore due to cost and 7075 availability.

I tried to send you a note but I’m not sure it went through.

–SOLD–

1095 KILLED! THANK YOU NEXT! Wing broke near the fuse. Fuse connection was solid. 1210 is next on the chopping block maybe!

2 Likes

Back on the 1210 as my daily, cedrus aluminum(couldn’t tell the difference of the carbon) 70cm, Custom Stringy fuse, my own tail. Tips chopped bonded to fuse. Playful turning, pumps to the moon, tough as nails. just fantastic. I can dig out of a hole from a standstill and pump circles waiting for a set. This wing is still in a different class than everything else i’ve ridden.

I think the key to a good setup(expecially the Takuma stuff) is bonding the connections. I sprayed a little release agent in the wing side of the connection and bonded in with epoxy. Leaving a little air pocket at the tip (so applying the epoxy around the male part of the connection) helps on disassembly also. I’m finding this makes as much of a difference as the mast upgrade. Also eliminates corrosion.

If you ride a bunch of wings i’d make a strong argument for pairing it down to 2 (big and small) and 2 corresponding mast lengths and just bonding each foil together. If you know your way around release agent, a wing seperation tool (i use a come-along and a 4x4 when the mallet fails) and maybe a dental pick getting it apart and cleaning for selling is doable.

As a 2nd foil for wing and big surf i have a 980 on a t bar mast. Another great wing like the 1210. I was expecting the T bar to be garbage and it was until i bonded it. Now its pretty good - which is a significant statement coming from me. I’m not holding onto it forever, while its servicable on stiffness i want a hair more reliability for big days(that little bit of flex is fine when its small but i need reliability for big stuff) and i just don’t trust it for jumping hard on the wing.

Probably gonna sell the 980 setup and invest in another gofoil for my small wing, RS 1000 or RS 850 for big days prone and ding. Its a tricky situation, for prone i need that efficiency of a skinny mast for a small wing setup and for ding i need the strength and for big conditions(big waves mean big chop) i need stiffness. Leaves only gofoil by my math. I’d love to also consider the progression 140/katana but i’ve heard of some breakages (all good warrantees to their credit) and i’m an extreme use case so i’m ruling that out for now.

3 Likes

Get some plastic tubing. Cut it lengthwise on one side. Slide it onto your duotone luffing handle. Hockey tape it all up. Luff handles is much stiffer now and controls the wing is controllable with one hand.

1 Like