Portal Internal Reinforcement

I repair a lot of FFB boards which just means adding adding neglected internal reinforcement. It seems like 100% of freedoms boards develop flex, almost immediately. It seems like freedom is to tied into the existing surfboard manufacturing ecosystem to be creating new processes in shaping and laminating that would be required for a stiff board.

Portals seem to be holding up great in contrast. Has anyone broken, repaired, or otherwise seen the internal foam and carbon reinforcement on a portal? Id love to know what is inside!

1 Like

I have almost a year on my Transmedium 19, no issues 10/10 recommend.

If you want a foil board that is bulletproof check out dark arts. I just ride Kyle Knox’s personal 3 year old board and it was rock solid. He foils harder than most of us ever will. So it’s been put through its paces.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’ve seen Mike Pedigo foil in person, but the amount of force he generates in turns is incredible. For some reason, video just doesn’t capture it as well as seeing it live. I’ve watched almost every major foiler in person, except Adam Bennetts. Many of them ride impressively, but nobody applies TORQ (with a growling voice) to equipment like Mike. I find myself wincing during some of his turns, expecting something to break.

That said, I bought a board (pre-portal) from him that he had shaped, and it was clearly ridden hard when I got it. I’m 200 lbs and used it intensely for a year and a half before selling it to a buddy who’s 215 lbs, and he used it for another year. The plastic in the track box finally cracked, but everything else on the board is still in perfect condition (zero flex). I estimate around 1000 sessions on that board. Mike’s construction is outstanding—likely a result of how he rides. Uni rider Jeremy Anderson (~175 lbs) has been riding a Pedigo Flyline board daily for over three years, and it’s still in great shape. Plus, these boards are among the lightest I’ve found.

2 Likes

Same experience as Dillionaire – I’ve had 3 Portals so far, Transmedium 17, Enigma 5’2, Nimitz 7’7, and a Nimitz custom coming. They’re all super solid. I can’t even count how many times I’ve ran into the sandbar at like 15+ mph on them (our bars are super shallow), towed hurricane swells, karate kicked them trying to do airs, dropped them at the shower rinsing them off, and they’re bomber. I don’t know if anyone has broken the boxes, but I’d be incredibly surprised if they did.

I was riding my enigma almost exclusively all summer and took a spin on my FFB the other day and immediately noticed the board felt spongey. It still ripped but I’m sure a lot of pumping and turning efficiency is lost in the sponge effect. The portal just feels so much stiffer, even to the touch. I also wonder how they do it.

Yeah, portal construction seems bomber! They’re doing great work!

I repair a lot of freedom boards and have a technique that works I’m mostly just curious what portal is doing.

Personally in my own riding I have totally sworn off EPS. I won’t buy an EPS board again. My personal prone boards are made from a PVC blank and if I had to buy a production board I’d go Appletree to get that closed cell foam internal.