Water inside damage free foil boards. Guess where it's coming in

I’m working on two projects where I cut into two damage-free FFB foil boards. Both had A FAIR AMOUNT of water seeping out. Both boards were ding-free with no cracks in the boxes.

I’m fairly certain the water intake is coming from the pressure valve - which were both alarmingly loose – never touched them until the other day.

Heard this voids warranty, but I’ll be at minimum covering them with a vinyl sticker moving forward.

I always check mine soon as I get a new board. I’d say over half are too loose, you can’t rely on someone in a Chinese factory to tighten it properly

So easy to crack the boxes. My Freedom is destroyed and is a wet sponge. I think every buyer out there should be careful purchasing their product.

1 Like

They’ve always been solid on warranty. I had a buddy get one replaced over a year after purchase because it went “soft” - no visible damage. I had another buddy get a replacement for a replacement…. In both cases I rebuilt the original boards stronger…

Maybe liquid force(bought freedom I think) is protecting that brand equity they shelled out for…

Mine was really delicate and looking at it wrong seemed to ding it. Also the plug wasn’t even doing anything. I noticed it bubbling around the plug when I had it in the sun to repair yet another ding and drilled out the plug which allowed about 4oz of water out of the board. I them added a layer of epoxy around the plug to seal the edges again.

Overall really unhappy with the quality but will reach out to see if they’ll do me a solid and replace it.

Warranty and sell to extract some $$$ and move to something more reliable

I don’t give anybody in this business second chances

Warranty denied :person_gesturing_no:

I got a discount code though. Not that I’m going to give them more of my money.

1 Like

how much discount did they give you? sux obviously as these boards look great

$180 off a new board. Let me know if you want it.

2 Likes

I’m in the midst of trying to resurrect a Freedom Fusion (box went bad) and before we cut it open, we noticed that the carbon had separated from the foil track and the very front of the tracks. I’m assuming that this separation let water in and once the foam got wet it was game over. The tracks were surrounded on their sides by high density foam but there was only EPS underneath the tracks.

I’ve dried out boards that took on water successfully. It takes time. I’ve had decent success using gravity and heat - putting the board out in the sun with the leak down. Probably takes several days in a row - you actually want to tape over the vent so when it heats up it forces the expanding air/water out of the crack.

The other method is with a slight vacuum. I was able to drill a hole near the crack, insert a clear hose with some mastic around it to seal and draw a vacuum on the board. Leave the vent wide open. You’ll see water streaming out the tube and probably need a vacuum pot or long enough tubing to catch water on the way out without going into the pump. You will want to leave the vacuum pump on a long time - sometimes days! It helps to combine this with heating as well.

Footstrap inserts are a common place for water to get into your board. These small, thin inserts are often not set in high density foam. The deck can delaminate from the top of the insert allowing water to seep in around the insert, often unnoticed because it’s covered by a traction pad. I always fill the unused footstrap inserts with epoxy.

1 Like