Production Downwind Boards

Thanks that is very interesting! I think you’ve maybe missed the consideration for at speed touchdowns. I’ve been riding a DIY board with hard chines that looks very similar to your DIY. While I haven’t managed to compare an equivalently rounded bottom board, I can say that the super long rail line seems to manage touchdowns pretty well, but occasionally I can feel that hard long line stick to the water if I hit the water at an angle (winging or prone). I wonder if the canoe bottom will re-attach differently at speed, better or worse? I think the chines differ depending on the roll angle the board touches down.

Edit: some info from the other thread, @Beasho do you have any more info on chine/round consideration? My experience as a very poor winger is that the square edges only were an issue winging, and sometimes in prone when a wave caught at an awkward angle.

Now that I’ve tried 2 boards and hopefully an Apple skipper soon, I will say that weight is a factor that may start to matter to me as the whole point is to enjoy riding the thing once you are up (and durability so will avoid the poor reputations).

2 Likes