Prone Surf Foil Options

I tried the cab h1000 yesterday. I just got it during one hour. I was expecting a lot from cabrinha, even wanted to move to this brand at a time. So what? Ok the foil is super easy, a real plug and play stuff. Comfortable at the first ride, turn well also. Good wing for sure! But, after an hour , i just wanted to go back on my 925. I needed much more energy to pump the cab, and i had the sensation of dragging water. It pumps well, but armstrong wings are so efficients, they get so much speed. I am really addicted to this feeling, and itā€™s hard to go back. A bit like when you leave a race car and go back to your family vehicle. So now , i just hope that armstrong will be able to produce a new ha 925 nearly as efficient, but easier to turn.

2 Likes

A bit easier 925 would be ideal. I know how everyone feels when they say the speed and efficiency is addictive. I guess I am holding out hope that armstrong releases something new soonā€¦ Lots of people dropping them for sure out here on mauiā€¦

1 Like

Is there someone here who has infos about a new range of armstrong foils?? I have heard many thingsā€¦but , for the moment , just expectations. Many people are waiting, some are moving to another brands. I known they are in the kitchen, cooking, but itā€™s getting longā€¦and we are hungry!

1 Like

The 925 compares to the 800 cab much better than the 1000 cab. And I like the 800 much more than the 925. The 1000 is more of a mid aspect and would compare to the 1050 Armstrong.

2 Likes

Just changed over 725ha to lift 90 on nolimitz with takuma 158 tail (pictured with 178). Surf is my focus on this and be able to pump out the back to get set waves. The mast is so good with full confidence in turns and the 90 is an insane wind. I am 75kg, probably gonna get a 120 too too replace my 1125 that I was holding onto for the hour challenge

2 Likes

Do you manage to pump the lift 90 as well as the 725?

1 Like

Yes - but itā€™s kinda different. Armstrong was good pumping it very fast and covering a lot of ground really quickly to get where you need to go but bad at low speed for ripping turns.
The 90 can rip turns but canā€™t pump it super fast but can pump out of holes and recover much better

1 Like

Goin on Maui this winter and my biggest foil is a 1200 mid aspect(F-one SS at 7.5 ar). I can wing in waves no problem and surf etc. I want to surf foil on the south side, waves probably around waist etc. Is the 1200 is big enough? I know how to surf, so the pop-up should be technically doable in the trip, I can dock start and pump a 1800cm2 but I donā€™t want to bring such a large front wing in the luggage(traveling with a 4ā€™10 board) Thanks for your input.

For prone foiling one maui this winter? Skip the south side, probably wonā€™t be much, but you could try! Lots of guys running ~1000cm^2 foils (RS1000, Lift 90/120, Armstrong 925/1250, etc)ā€¦

You didnā€™t mention the tail(s) setup you are using. Crazy how a little tweak/change there can change everything.

Well, iā€™m aware @Kittie808 the more you go on the west side the better it gets, but I wonā€™t learn on the north shore un double overhead for sure :sweat_smile:

@gomotomoto if you were referring to my post itā€™s a 250fence and xx-short fuse.

1 Like

Hey Chili! Iā€™m also in South Carolina, looking to prone surf and maybe downwind sup Folly/Sullivanā€™s island area. Do you have any recommendations on a setup that would work well with our minimal surf? I was between the Kujira 1440/1210 or an axis 1150. Thanks!

I have never surfed there, but I think this is the best deal in foiling right now. Onofoil. Itā€™s the same guy that makes the foilparts adapter. Rumor is he sold the company, so the new versions will have a new name, but the mast is going to be backwards compatible. So youā€™re not stuck in a dead end system. Iā€™ve ridden the swift and itā€™s really good. Mast is very stiff.

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s a steal! Thanks for the help!

Hey Joey,
From what Iv been hearing the takuma set up is the way to go for dedicated surf feel. The axis will have a lil more solid ride but be your best bet for down-winding and winging if you decide to go that route. That being said I have no experience on those foils but I read and watch/talk to dudes who ride them. I am on an Armstrong set up and planning to upgrade soon. I actually was able to see the foil that Erik had been working on in person and it looks legit. Might be worth looking into, he said they are coming out very soon. A couple dudes also ride lift around Charleston, I know the 150 is a popular one and a nice ride. I havenā€™t heard of anyone downwind suping yet in our area but am really keen on trying to get the gear to make it happen.

-Chili

I just tried the Cab 1000 and I agree with you comments it felt a bit ho hum but easy to ride though not as lively as the 925 ,but it does pump easily at lower speeds without dropping out.

For powerful surf, cab1000 and 800 are true champions. Foilparts tail adapter with 178 or kd13r unlock glide and turn, nolimitz or new upcoming mast upgrade the stiffness. You can downwind on it, prob average in the bunch of HA. Kujira 1095 feels more dragless and glidey for example.
Takuma gets out of control in powerful surf, but beats cab in tiny powerless waves.