(SOLVED) Cracked the board's rail falling—normal?

So I am a total kook only 4 sessions deep prone foiling. I have averaged 1 “taco” fall per session. This is despite my efforts to keep the board low on the mast, eject not correct, fall in the same direction as the board/mast, etc. I’m having a blast for what it’s worth.

In my most recent session I taco’d and hit the left rail of my FFB Fusion. It didn’t feel like I hit it that hard but I realized it not only caused a pressure ding but actually cracked the rail. Pictures below. At the price point I have assumed all the FFB’s are all imported “pop-outs”, so I didn’t have high expectations for quality. But given the board is carbon, I would not have expected it to crack with the fall I had.

Is this type of damage normal while learning?

I will say I’m a bit annoyed. I don’t mind fixing dings, but it looks like this one probably buckled it enough to cause some delam. Any recommendations? Should I just put some ding tape over it since it’s my first board and will continue to get beaten up despite my best efforts. Or should I take it to a local pro who will repair carbon boards and get it seen to?

Pics

ENHANCE

I wouldnt say its normal, but it does happen. It happened to my first board as well, i think with the rail cracked, unless you get some structural repair it will just continue to deteriorate. IMO since youre still learning, make it water tight and ride it until youre ready for a new one!

I smashed a huge crack in my Appletree in a failed foam bash taking a rail to the shin. Carbon is ultra rigid, but it is super brittle to direct hits at the same time. Doesn’t take much to crack a rail.

Sadly a reality. My second board was covered in those (Gong). I just sanded them open and fixed with epoxy sun-cure, if it bubbled then I repeated it as then its not watertight. Mostly just taped them if small like that

1 Like

Here’s what your knee can do to a lighter weight lamination. Hurt like hell but luckily never missed a day. A few centimeters

either direction may have been a long recovery.

Thats a pretty easy carbon fix. If I were you I’d spend a couple hours to do it right with carbon, it will be nearly perfect and you will never think about it again. Rail tape or temporary solutions could lead to longer term headaches.

Thanks for all the helpful and detailed responses, everyone. I will probably put ding tape on it in the short term until I can acquire carbon fiber for a proper repair.

It makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one who this has happened too.

I will say this makes and Appletree board more tempting. I noticed the ding just being getting out of the water and concerned about further damage. My experience with ‘standard’ EPS surfboard’s is that dings suck up water FAST.