Sunglasses for Foiling

What Are the Critical Features to Consider When Choosing Sunglasses for Water Sports Activities?

When it comes to selecting the ideal sunglasses for water sports activities, there are several key features to consider. Can you provide insights on:

  1. Product Details: What are the important specifications and materials to look for in high-quality water sports sunglasses?

  2. Lens Type: How do different lens materials and coatings (e.g., polarized, mirrored, UV protection) impact performance and visibility on the water?

  3. Eyes and Face Protection: What features ensure maximum protection against harmful UV rays, glare, and potential impacts while engaging in water sports?

  4. Floating Systems: How effective are the various floating systems in preventing sunglasses from sinking, and what are the best designs available?

  5. Antifog System: How important is an antifog system for water sports sunglasses, and what are the best antifog technologies currently on the market?

  6. Water Repellent: How do water repellent coatings enhance the performance of sunglasses in wet conditions, and what should you look for in these coatings?

I’m also open to hearing recommendations for brands and manufacturers that excel in these areas.

Thanks and have a nice day

1 Like

A bit pricey, but I wear them just about every session. Have had them for awhile. If you take care of them, i.e. clean and rinse after every use, avoid getting sunscreen or basically anything else on the lens, they will last a long time. If the water is very cold, and I am sweating, they will fog sometimes, almost never while kiting, the wind keeps lens from fogging.

4 Likes

Thank you!
Yeah i have one of those, works well but the fogging while prone foiling is ridiculous haha
Thats why im searching for a new pair.
Cheers

1 Like

Check out Ombraz

3 Likes

Not going to win any style awards, but UV protection and a buck a pop you aren’t going to cry when you break or lose them. :slight_smile:

safety glasses

image

1 Like

We are foilers over fashionistas! Thanks for the info.

I like these, they float and are nicely priced. I just use them for towing or winging, but not prone.

Yup, If I am working up a sweat, and the water is cool. The only time I fog up. I actually had to come in one time while doing a flat water workout with foildrive and take the glasses off. Couldn’t see anything. (30 pumps, 100 paddles. repeat til shot). I also wear a hat, so it just bottles up the heat. Watching the Formula kite racing. This year and last years mens champ, wears goggles with a face mask. Don’t know what the goggles are, but adding a helmet and facemask, I have no idea how they don’t fog up.

2 Likes

Seaspecs! All the kiters know what I’m talking about

Just about any cheap online prescription and a strap works great. If you wear a hat or helmet you’ll never lose them.

I tried ombraz once but went out with no helmet and they disappeared

2 Likes

Only if you want to be the most stylish guy on the beach! LOL

Seriously though I just use cheap goodr polarized sunglasses with rainX. Need to reapply the rainX once a month at least but they are cheap enough that it’s not a big deal when they eventually break or are lost in a big clean up set.

2 Likes

The lip ones are available with anti fog. I use them with a rx. My main issue is the sunscreen that gets on them.

1 Like

Got these at the grocery store. Wanted them more for hail protection than sun. Classic - Solar Shield

1 Like

Thank you! What does RainX do?

Absolutely right¡¡They are doing some kind of magic!! I might get some of these for wingfoiling and downwind, so maybe i will post my experience soon!

RainX helps the water shed from the lenses really quickly. Cheap hydrophobic coating. Helps some with fogging too. But you do need to reapply every couple of weeks.

I stopped buying sunglasses with reflective coatings too as they seem to come off reducing the life of the glasses.

thank you for this! they are awesome

1 Like

I love Ombraz too but be sure to buy/use the floatie if you’re riding without a helmet. I lost my first pair after a wipeout without a helmet.

1 Like

I think for for the glasses anything with plastic sport lenses, UV400 protection and a strap.

Make sure the contact areas at nose bridge and sides of head do not hurt with a helmet if you use one.

Biggest problem for me is drops drying out inside and outside with salt residue,plus pain on temples with a helmet.Fogging has not been a problem if they have a bit of ventilation on bottom or sides.

If you use RainX make sure it is the one for plastic.

I used the standard RainX and it eroded the plastic lenses.

Any body use the RainX for plastic?.Any good?.

Some people say standard furniture wax will do the job,have not tried it.

1 Like