The physics of a hydrofoil

I am interested in doing some reading on the physics of a hydrofoil. Maybe go as far as getting into some of the basic equations on the effects of changes to the shape/size of a wing. I come from an engineering background so open to quite technical material, but also have a lot of appreciation for things explained in an easy to understand way :slight_smile:

Are there any highly recommended books / textbooks or videos out there for learning this stuff? Also interested in any books about airfoils / planes along these lines as I’m assuming a lot of overlap.

Thanks for any recommendations.

I just picked up this book online a few days ago. Way above my knowledge level but I still think it’s pretty cool. I’m only maybe 10-20 pages in so far. You’d probably have an easier time understanding it than I did due to your background in engineering.

2 Likes

Also Aero-Hydrodynamics of Sailing by Marchaj

2 Likes

Marchaj is a bit of a doorstop but it’s more accessible than Theory of Wing Sections

This video is a good intro and has 3 specific book recs at the end, all seem very relevant to your goal

8 Likes

Awesome vidéo, thanks for sharing!

1 Like