Which is your favorite Kdfoil tail?

thanks Kane, i really like the feeling of the Blunt tail, It seemed to improve my pump and low end stall. I also just picked up a used Boomerang, so will be curious to see the differences.

A concept in tails that, to me, is most interesting is unifoil’s 3 pack. 3 tails, same outline, different foils - symmetrical, flat, and cambered.

I feel like practically your not going to be switching between but it would be fantastic to have that data point.

I think of all the attributes of a wing, the foil section is the most important, however, it’s the hardest to see, quantify, and market so we never actually hear about it. So much fuss about span, outline, dihedral but foil is dominating the feel

1 Like

What tail are people liking with the 1095? I’ve been using the KD 13.5 classic with a 0.5 degree shim. I like it but I could stand to loosen it up further. I have adjustable length fuse but I’m generally using a length about equal to the stock fuse.

Been using the KD 13R, pumps really well, fast and turns good. 158 Kujira is awesome in turns but requires more work to pump than 13R

2 Likes

I ride the 1095 with a chopped blunt, trailing edge brought in but keeping span in the middle, with .5-1 degree less lift shim and the 13R no shim. Kujira 158 is also a great tail. No shim on the 1095.

1 Like

I rode the 13.5" with my unifoil Hyper 170, 190 and 210. I found it great with the 190 and the 170, giving that little bit more lift in smaller days and helping the glide. For the 170 it was perfect in adding to the pump out and the connection between waves on medium days, sometimes i would add a small shim if the waves were gutless, otherwise without a shim in anything from chest high to overhead. In the last 4-6 months i have been riding the Lift 120 HA with the 25 Glide tail./ Love it, very fast, stable and great glide but on smaller days the higher stall speed has been challenging and then on smaller days when the swell is soft, it is very challenging. I ordered the tail adapter from Foil parts for the Lift and using the 13.5" tail with the 120 has been excellent. definitely slowed down the stall speed, increased the lift and just made it so much easier on the smaller softer days. Can feel a little more drag but the foil is still fast. Jumped back on the Hyper 210 today for the first time in about 6 months and i struggled for the first few waves - a little more unstable laterally, and tighter to turn, my first turn i turned and it didnt and fell off. Like getting on a long board - have to ease into the turn - have definitely been spoiled with the 120HA. Will try the Hyper 190 on smaller days and i am sure that will have a little less lateral stability but make up in the turning department.

Has anyone else been challenged by hopping between foil where there is more or less lateral stability. I get that going from less to more is easy but going from the lIft to the Hyper felt more twitchy and i needed a few waves to “remember” how to ride it. I used to live on the Hyper 190 and the 170 and now i am finding them interesting to ride. A few more sessions and i know i will be back home again. I guess the trick is to not stay on one particular wing or foil and change it up more often.

The KD maui tail has definitely added positive dimensions to my foiling on everyone of the wings i mentioned above. Great asset to my quiver.