Axis Spitfire vs Code S

Does anyone have experience with both Axis spitfire and Code s series? I’ve been trying to decide on my next foil for a while and these two have piqued my interest the most.

I’ll be surfing small waves and downwinding on lake superior. Both of these seem like great options for slow moving bumps and small wave surfing.

I’m looking at the 1130/1300 from code and the 1030/1100 from axis.

Code if you are downwinding for sure. You’ll want the higher aspect ratio.

2 Likes

I’ll likely be downwinding most of the time as I have to drive for waves.

1 Like

The codes will be superior if the primary plan is to DW. The middle ground for surfy foils with decent glide would be Cloud IX. Pure surf, Sk8. Spitfire would also be dedicated surf but I’ve heard from folks who ride everything I listed that the Spitfire would be their last choice due to drag and pitch control issues.

2 Likes

Spitfire turns the best because it’s the slowest and lowest aspect surf wing. It also pumps the worst. The kujira2 glides and pumps better and turns just as good. Silk is another step up in glide from the kj2. Code is maximum glide and pump (same as an art) and can still turn really well, but you need to have mastered turning close in the pocket on a mid aspect wing first and adjust your lines for turning on the code. Once you’ve figured that out code turns amazingly well for a high aspect wing that’s marketed as a mid aspect.

3 Likes

I’ve ridden both, they are completely different.

Spitfire is a great medium aspect wing (better turning, worse pump/glide) that anyone can enjoy.

Code is a great high aspect wing (worse turning, better pump/glide) that is for advanced riders.

I would recommend you get a Unifoil Progression as it sits in the middle as a high aspect wing that anyone can enjoy. I have no conflict of interest.

2 Likes

I would be inclined to go unifoil if it sits in the middle.

I thought the spitfire would make sense as I’ve heard its slower and possibly therefore better for lake waves. Although I suppose pumpability is important for downwind.

What would you say makes the code for advanced riders?

1 Like

They do have good point with that. When I rode the 850s it was clearly fast and had immense glide. However, it needed a very finessed pump. I’m on Cloud IX and can thug pump them to make my way down the river. When I haphazardly pumped the Code, it felt like I was just pushing it straight down deeper into the water resulting in touchdowns.

Interesting. User friendly is definitely a trait i’m looking for at this stage.

Ask around about how the larger code foils pump. They are aimed towards “beginners” according to them and they may pump in a more friendly fashion than the smaller code foils do.

I would imagine swell period should be.huge factor for your selection. Example: Florida has mostly short period swells 6-10 seconds (so much slower swell).

7 seconds period x 1.5 = 10.5 knots
16 second period x 1.5 = 24 knots

Both could be a 2ft swell… but completely different speeds

1 Like

Foils should be sold as regionally specific. Foils that are developed for Hawaii DW for example don’t work as well here in Los Angeles. Once we have region specific foils it’ll be easier to recommend what people should use.

5 Likes

No idea what the period or speed would be here but certainly slower than the ocean. Totally agree its a big factor in selection, that’s why the spitfire was appealing.

Again, I’m in central Florida. Based on our group of ~ 30 prone foilers and what people seem to like:

IMO:
Turning 1st priority, then pumping- my picks are new takuma & Fone sk8 (in no particular order)

If you’re a pumping 1st, turning second kind of person (like me) - my picks are Uni progression and the new Armstrong

For the record, I was an Armstrong hater, but the new wing is very impressive. I personally ride Uni and formally rode takuma. Uni has my favorite construction of the group

4 Likes

Can anyone give insight on downwinding with the uni progressions? Especially in small conditions and bay runs.

Appreciate all the responses so far, every data point helps!

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of unifoil riders are leaving the company and getting onboard with other brands for DW gear. That says a lot IMO.

All those ambassador contracts are up. It was bound to happen.

Progressions will be good on bay runs. Josh Ku downwinded the 125 progression tons in the ocean too.

Code 1300s is likely the foil you’re looking for. Where are you planning on foiling? There is a downwind calculator that will let you put in the conditions and it spits out the swell.

Wave Calculator - SWELLBEAT Wave generation calculator at the bottom.

My guess is that’s more about pay than gear…

My 2nd thought is aren’t “most” DW riders on larger easy to use wings? I know the axis 1300 is wildly popular and it’s giant. I’m guessing most people starting their journey aren’t on the same 800sqcm front wings as the sponsored riders anyway.

3 Likes

Observations from being in Coach Casey Club for over a year. Watching people go from learning to then acing runs. Yes, you start on a large foil. If you can’t paddle up, you can’t downwind. Use the big foil until you can ace runs. Then start sizing down. Realized you sized down to far. Go back to the big foil to get your confidence back. Size down and repeat.

So make sure whatever system you choose to go with has lots of room on both sides of the equation. Which is why many people go with AXIS. In ease of paddle up I’ve seen the AXIS lineup something like, 1310, 1150, 1300, 1201, 1050, faster ART Pro’s, larger spitfires.

The question for the OP is, can you paddle up a Progression 200? @foilwithme on instagram is using that for his DW foil in the ocean on DW runs.

2 Likes

Could be pay. I definitely saw a heavier beach, shop, youtube push from unifoil than I’ve ever seen from another brand and maybe those funds dried up. From my perspective in the gorge those unifoils were too slow. I’ve heard they are phenomenal for beginners trying to connect waves in the surf, but I’ve simply not heard a lot from unifoil about a solid DW foil.