Episode: Eric Christensen on Downwind Learning Curve, Epic Trips and the Foiling Community

@Erik hope you don’t mind me posting these. If you have an intern, they can take it off my hands :handshake:

1 Like

I really enjoyed this one, super interesting to hear from someone deep in the downwind progression curve, and just radiating pure stoke!

Other things from the first half:

1. DW felt “too difficult to learn” at a few points, especially with no SUP background. Learning to wing as part of the progression. Humbling.
  2. Good safety tips
    • Glympse app for tracking with a crew that keep an eye on each other
    • PFD with phone, waterproof speaker to make calls while foiling :radio:
    • Hivis, leash
    • Erik recommended Apple Watch with cellular connection
  3. The Gorge being best place to let everything “click”. Rock start laps sound cool. The description of the trip reminded me of

a plateau as a necessary accumulation phase, where you hone specific skills and skill combos to build up to pushing into your next break-through

1. Foil selection for foil - at some stage you can get up on a foil that is too small/fast for the conditions, due to boards unlocking this capability.
4 Likes

Anybody know what Bluetooth speaker he is talking about? Ive gone through two JBLs. They say they are waterproof but apparently not. Lol.

No interns here :slight_smile:

Stoked that you’re posting them. Thank you. At some point I might need to monetize the show or forum so I could bring someone on to help. Could make it much better, just a time thing.

1 Like

No, but I’ve had good luck with the UE brand, and their stuff is waterproof.

2 Likes

Eric got me super stoked on Hood River! I’m already planning a trip for next summer. Also, when poking around I saw Northwave Sails does winging clinics and downwind led sessions, which is awesome.

3 Likes