Jeremy Wilmotte

It was an honor to have Jeremy on the show. Top ten podcast for me personally in what I learned and leaving the show inspired. What were your favorite insights or points of discussion?

2 Likes

Yes, I listened all the way to the end. I did ask some earnest questions too! But quite enjoyed that one. Ku might be a good guest for you too. Wait til he get’s a version of your Unifoil. He’s going to destroy.

1 Like

Josh is scheduled to come on. Should be getting the 170 in the next couple weeks.

1 Like

You should have a foiling quiz show with @Hdip and a couple other “contestants” and just ask random foiling questions to see who’s the most foil brained and knows the most foil trivia.

But yeah that was a good episode. Haha i wish they were longer…

I’ve got something planned similar. Think everyone will love it

The part about going out and not know what will happen stuck in my head. Recently my wife suggested that it wasn’t foiling I was addicted to, but learning or striving. I’d add a sense of adventure, but that can be achieved in a short window between life responsibilities. Very quickly you can go far offshore, learn new things, and not know how it’s going to go, which is an adventure in your mind. It keeps the monotony of life manageable.

6 Likes

Loved that y’all brought up FOMO and the need to keep switching things up in order to stay in flow.

Some notes while stuck on a train that were noteworthy…

1. How to get to optimum / designed weight - Jeremy mention that Axis foils are designed for 85kg. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Seems to be agreement that the best “Waterman Combo” of things to do is prone+dw+wing (+ Tow in Aus), this to be able to get out daily and best complementary skill building

3. Winging frustration- Wing is easiest if you already have a windsport. I agree here, kiting+sailing meant winging was quite straight forward for me (but kiting was infinite f-bombs 15 years ago for me, so I feel your pain @Erik, really I do. Kiting maybe worse when the lines tangle)

4. Prone is really hard, especially if you can’t surf - Yes, I would say non-surfers should start with winging for sure. I could surf and still found (find) it pretty tricky

5. Helmets, perception - I generally disagreed here, I think (and mostly do) recommend wearing a helmet, especially while learning (for most things). My mast hit my leg on a shorey eject and I couldn’t walk back to the car. I’d def have split my skull if it was that instead of my leg. Things happen. I think this helmet bit is an oversight. People wear helmets skiing, now very common surfing. Great opportunity to benefit from that new acceptance. It seems 99% of foilers have kids, feels to me like a no-brainer

6. Foil bans. JW argues that foils are no worse than surfboards, and that having had no real injuries, there isn’t a case for a ban. I guess I disagree here with some of the arguments in the convo. Foils are 3x faster, way sharper, heavier, harder. Kites are banned from swimming/surfing beaches for the same reason, I think reasonable to require it to keep apart or work within the kiting/surfing/swimming framework that seems to work.

7. Super interesting that in Aus the lifesavers have such control over the beach, calling people in at night etc, but I guess, sharks etc, you prefer to have them around!

8. Imbalanced body - any tips for balancing out the body? @Erik have you found front/back leg imbalance too?

9. Cool to hear that Axis is working on prioritising fun foils for the every day, I think this user-friendly drive is positive.

10. JW doesn’t shim, just adjusts mast back and forth. This was interesting as I (70kg) definitely need to reduce Angle of Attack on Axis tails

11. @erik 12 inch is 300mm, so you both ride ~ the same tail

12. I Listened to the end, train delays, new board in tow - yeew summer

13. Flow state junkies - resonated. I ended up skating again last summer chasing the flow. Something not covered that I think worth mentioning but related - Why is foiling having a moment? It’s possibly many things, but a huge component is the innovation in gear, bringing people in and giving them something to fiddle with, which reinforces the market opportunity and creates more gear, more people. Once the gear innovation plateaus (like windsurfing, kiting, etc did before) the surge in interest dies with the slowing of innovation. Worth keeping in mind for the addicts.

ps thanks @oceanpixels it was very cool to hear from you

5 Likes

Epic recap Matt! Thanks for putting in the time to do that!

2 Likes