Favorite foils for fast, fun winging

Took the garmin watch with the eagle 790, rough speeds I am getting : stall around 15kmh, cruising 22-24kmh, top speed 38kmh. Probably can be pushed much further but didnt want to crash at those speeds.
From what I remember cruising on 1095 was 18-20kmh for me.

1 Like

I know you say the 140 is very slow, and I agree that there is definitely a limit on top speed, but it’s not that much slower than your results. For what it’s worth I was comfortably cruising those same speeds on the progression today under powered (20 knot) winging conditions. I think the hyper2 170 would have been even faster. I didn’t get close to your top speed though (maxed out at 30 kmh briefly)

In the waves it’s been really frustrating somehow, I really tried to like it. Its doing everything so well. But it maxes out so quick and dives a bit forward, it becomes survival above hip high for me. I have been overfoiled like that with the kujira and cab h1000 for a long time, it would have been ok 1 year ago, but now foils have evolved and match the speed of the fast waves, much better tool for the job. Once you get used to a faster foil there is just no turning back i think. Watch bennets clips on the eagle/lift, how fast he carves, there is no slowing down or getting stuck on top of the wave. Compare that to the clips of relatively slower foils.
I am sure the prog is amazing for small weak waves or downwind, but for the conditions I am dealing with it clearly felt suboptimal. Same could be said of a lot of foils, its just that the smaller size cab and eagle really changed everything to me. It’s very much condition and level dependant.

2 Likes

That’s precisely what they had in mind when designing it … Slow clean waves…

Absolutely. Even small choppy surf is no problem, it’s a weapon in small energy. I bought into the “one foil do it all” idea, which is impossible as the speed range is totally different in bigger surf.

2 Likes

You might enjoy the AFS Pure 700 or 900 then too :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Phantom Foils Drift model also looks awesome.

I was very much hoping for the same thing (a one foil wing quiver) but we gotta trade off something. A foil needs to be surfy on the downwind at low to medium speed (unless the waves are big and fast; I’m talking windswell and mushy which is more common in most parts of the world in terms of access) then be able to mach upwind 1/2 mile to 1 mile. You want to get there cruising at 20mph+ so you can maximize the # of laps. Anything below that is just a slog.

There are few foils that minimize the trade off. For example, I really love the carving of the Kujira 1095 at low to med speed on weak windswell (Sherman Island on an ebb in SF bay, blowing 25 mph; Treasure Island, Crissy Field, 3rd ave, etc) and it can handle 22-25 mph for a bit but blows up for some wicked crashes when it inevitability ventilates or a tip deflects on the wide span.

The other situation is when the waves aren’t rolling and it’s just windy. Being able to go super fast into heelside tacks and other carving maneuvers saves these sessions from being boring and not worth it.

Groundswell in the ocean calls for something like the F One Eagle 790 or 690, Lift 90, or similar.

1 Like

I really need to sort out why my P140 isn’t working in 20mph+ conditions. Seems like most everyone else is enjoying it for winging. Something must be off with my mast (Cedrus) or tail (14 G10 3 pack). Anyone in the SF Bay area with a P140 want to meet up for a session? I’ll buy you dinner and you can ride my other foils which are still fun (Kujira 1095, Moses 1000).

Hi Velociraptor, what isn’t working about your P140? I have the P170 and am considering buying the P140.

I like the p140. I think you meant to address someone else.

A couple of things:
(1) I really like the foil for it’s intended purpose and design goals: low energy swell and carving. It excels at this. I am trying to use it for higher speed winging and the Hyper 2 is a more appropriate foil.

(2) I think my set up and tuning is off. I don’t have a Katana mast and I’m using an adapter which could be causing issues. Plus I’m using the G10 14 tails which aren’t designed for going 20mph+ under the high load of a powered up hand wing. Once I get a Katana mast and smaller tail, the performance will likely be better at these speeds but still probably not ideal. Wide span, thickish wings just aren’t meant for high speed especially in turbulent water (SF Bay boat traffic plus tides pushing a massive amount of water though the narrow opening at the Golden Gate).

2 Likes

I think itll probably work fine when you get the right tails and mast tbh. Its also possible you just need a smaller size like a 120 someday if they release that.

@FoilLight I’m going to get the P170 also (currently P140) for prone days when the energy isn’t as strong, if I am sore, and I want a lazier chiller pump back out. P140 pumps out like a rocket, its crazy fast and when I have no wind against me and get high on mast it feels like I am soaring back out to the lineup, but still taxing after a connection or two (granted the pump back out where I am is very long).

I am loving the Progression wings right now. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be really good for winging if wave riding is your main goal for winging, when I wing it I can let you know how it is Eric (also in Bay Area)

1 Like

p170 is gold for lightwind (not ultralight) winging. Easy to pump up on foil and has that great roll/carvability to make the lightwind session fun. I use it winging until single digits.

1 Like

Below are some pics and videos of Kenny Adgate doing fast, hard carving heelside tacks. This is what good wing foils should be able to do (wing tips should be able to come out and maintain the carve). Makes it way more fun when there isn’t much swell… but the foil should still work well when there are bumps to ride. What foils can do this well? ML 800 and 600 (yes); Kujira 1095 (yes, but not fast enough, tips can come out and still carve though); F One Eagle (need to try it but sounds like yes).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT5dK8gvNKd/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CswfmB-PJx-/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTxDfkMlsS7/

1 Like

Hi Erick…
I would compare the P140 to my Cloud IX FS-850, surf foils not intended to go THAT fast, they are more about carving, pumping and control at low speeds, and would say I hardly could make more than 38-40 km/h (25 mph). I don’t think the Katana is the right choice there if you want to go fast, I would go for the standard one and the longest available. And carbon tail for sure.