Foot stance with prone foiling

Spot on man. I’m the exact same way. Stance definitely changes depending on the wings I’m riding. For example with my kujira 1440 I’m extremely offset. Then when tow foiling on an Armie 625 I’m just about centered. Masts definitely play a big role as well but I’m not sure I was quite following you on the mast talk?

Yeah mast stiffness is an interesting one… for me when I’m downwinding I tend to ride with a more offset stance on a flexier mast. It’s more around how the system responds when energy hits the wing out wide on the tips. A stiffer mast you feel that energy earlier and can correct it quickly, but with a flexier mast there is a delay as the system flexes and loads up, and then by the time you feel it there is more energy built up which takes more energy to overcome and correct it. I haven’t noticed it prone, only DW, so I think it’s more using the offset stance as a better brace position for those unplanned instabilities or wobbles :thinking:

2 Likes

I am running a 2” offset on my front and back foot. My foot size is 10”, this means I need a minimum of 16” of pad at my back foot position.

I’ve also been going for minimum width to maximize bank angle but this creates issues with how pretty the outline is.

An asymmetric board is the obvious answer for prone foiling but isn’t practical for wing foiling of mass production. This is what I’ve come up with!

9 Likes

Ok we are on the same page with the stiffness. That clears it up

Right on kane. Our stances are pretty similar. Mine changes in and out a bit depending on the span of the foil I’m riding and what kind of turn I’m after but we are in the same ballpark. Your direction makes total sense to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience Kane!

1 Like

I feel like this is worth a view as an extreme offset example

9 Likes

Yes Pey has definetly a extrem offset stance. From what I can recommenber I think he had also an offset stance on his stand up board (Peyo is a former competitor on the sup surf world tour).

2 Likes

Yes peyo have a huge offset… Crazy to see him riding. With such a low center of gravity. His pumping is really different from what we can see with a shorter stance . He seem really powerfull. And ride its curve with a lot of commitment.

1 Like

Wow he really dives into those turns! Kinda looks like he has more control and agility going into the heelside while the toeside turn looks a bit more like a balancing act. I wonder what this weight distribution between front and back foot is? Seems like he’s weighed heavily on the back foot while turning heelside.

Offset front foot when turning for sure. I can feel the limit in my turns reached sooner when my feet aren’t offset. I primarily ride the Lift 120 with the 26 carve tail and the armie 925 and 725 with the 195 tail and the KD Maui 12’’ on my 4’2 flyline productions shaped by Mike, I’m 5’7 145lbs. I have my feet more centered and bring my back foot forward for pumping however. Hope this helps

3 Likes

Novo-caine hahaha brilliant my man

1 Like

It’s good to read that thread, I do feel normal now!! I wonder if centerline foot placement could be related with size of feet? I’m size 8us and as soon as I place both of my feet on the centerline, I feel I’m loosing a lot of control, same as if I go snowboarding and I’m having my feet not snug in my boots…too much delay.

4 Likes

Another vote for: Subtle offset for turning/surfing, more centered for pumping having the ball of your back foot centered so that the power is driven straight down.

If you have the conditions/skills then winging is great for experimenting with foot positioning since you can spend unlimited time on foil and catch innumerable waves with basically no consequence if you fail (don’t need to wait for another chip-in)

3 Likes

I could see that being a factor. But I’m size 11 and I’m still pretty offset.

1 Like

Now, let say we are offset or centerline and we want to do air and use footstraps.

Maybe it’s only me, but I tend to move quite a lot my back foot around and not much my front foot. So where to put that back footstraps?

Or it’s a re-eduction of moving your body and weight instead of the foots?

1 Like

I use a half strap on the back from slingshot for winging. Let’s you easily move your foot forward for example pumping or just going fast, but still position snugly for airs. They’re a bit firm on the top of the foot though and don’t feel as nice as normal straps especially barefoot. Sorta works for prone but will cradle your junk while paddling

1 Like

I don’t ride strapped too often, but I position my inserts slightly off also. When Im pumping i often take my foot out of the back strap so I can move it around. Then i place it back in once Im on a wave.

Screenshot_20220829-172033_Instagram~3

2 Likes

I thought I was the only one with a super offset stance,started winging first recently started to surf foil,my front foot toes are in the centre of board heel on rail back foot toes way over on the rail actually had to put an extra bit of grip there heel on center of board when I try to centre my feet more I feel totally unbalanced and less control,thought it may have been from being small with tiny feet and a light weight and probably always riding foils a bit bigger than desired so to get the leverage had to offset more than most,not really sure why as most people I see winging at least are more centred,tried riding with straps centred on board felt totally unco.

1 Like