Forum Suggestions. What could make it a better user experience?

Hoping to dedicate some time to improve the forum. What should we focus on? Anything lacking? I’d like the ability to upload video, but that isn’t native to the platform. Would be great if we could create a social sharing, like IG, but for technical discussion. Lots of great foil minds on here already and with video it would get better. Any suggestions for that?

3 Likes

Hi Erik,
Can you consider adding add a categories for

• Events & Trips
    Eg. We’re heading to [where] on [dates]
    Pump contest [where] on [dates]

TY

2 Likes

Some random ideas, not strictly necessary but these came to mind for fun stuff

1. Something like a monthly “Expert sessions” for someone with deep passion/technical experience to do lectures on something (board design, foil design, foil racing, foam bashes, Oscar explains how he foiled for 2:45) and then people Q&A at the end - do it on Zoom or whatever (eg some guy explaining paragliders)
    (Can we put a beer fund together to get @KDW to do a step by step on everything related to foil design :palms_up_together: )

2. Constructive feedback AMA threads or something - ie everyone posts videos and get feedback related from someone who would be able to constructively break down specific elements (this maybe where people can just post their IG or YT links and people assess)

3. Coaches eye type breakdowns of specific styles. Ie get someone good at foam bashes to run through a bunch of variations and progressions.

3 Likes

I think that instead of “Travel Info” (or in addition to) let people post their location and put them on a map, so if you are traveling you can see who lives there and shoot some DMs for the local info. I know i’m personally less likely to blow up my spot with a big post but always happy to help a foiler out!

11 Likes

Good idea. Anyone want to volunteer to build us a map?

1 Like

I’m not computer guy but i imagine the first step is having a required GIS identifyer on the profile. City St. or Zip? Then i imagine getting the map is pretty straightforward!

1 Like

Session Report Category might be a nice edition.
Let folks share their excitement, lessons, insights with the forum community. Kind of like in school if youve got a question someone else probably has the same one so ask, in this case as long as we’re posting civilly sharing can only help others with those break through moments on the foil.

Plus reading sessions might just be what some people need when they cant scratch the itch themselves.

2 Likes

Like that idea. Will create it. Thanks!

One little thing on the forum that would be nice is is if people could somehow mark stuff sold without spamming their old sold topic to the top of the feed.

Often when I’m selling stuff I’ll sell it a month or 2 later and not make a “sold” post - trusting it to be forgotten in the feed instead of making a sold update which would push it to the top.

But then some goober posts is “is it sold yet” instead of a DM and spams the entire forum’s feed with a old topic. I’m not sure how this forums settings work, if there’s category specific setting that would help

Maybe…

Topics in buy and sell can be deleted by the original poster indefinitely - so when sold the poster deleted and the topic just disappears.

Again, I don’t know how the settings work so I’m kind of just fishing for a solution

1 Like

Erik

Can we add a Winging category?

There is downwind and prone but no winging category that i see

1 Like

a wiki site to hold all of the knowledge, will be edited by the community

1 Like

just added it ;). Winging has won me over in the last few months.

1 Like

how could we set that up?

wikidot.com would work
would be glad to set it up (I do tech when I don’t foil)

Not sure how it would be structured but it would be cool if within the wikki you could navigate to a particular brand and then a particular brands foil and everyone could leave there opinions on that particular piece of kit. (Release date, what it works well for what it doesn’t, what people have been pairing it with, tuning etc…)

I’m 10 months into this whole foiling thing and on gear that’s 3-4 years old and am constantly trying to find tid bits of information on forums on gear which is maybe 2-3 years old which I think would suit me as I progress… would be nice if there was a centralized spot I could go…

2 Likes

It’s called my brain. A bunch of useless information that is very important to a small subset of us lives in there. It is sometimes retrievable even.

5 Likes

SUP Foil category? I see DW and Prone but no SUP specific. Am i Missing something maybe? Erik already abandoned us SUPpers at least give us a category to transition to foil! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: