Front foil upgrade advice

Lots of good info there guys.

Work got in the way off me being able to demo some of the new Armstrong gear which I was pretty gutted by.

The new HAs that have dropped so sound mightyyyyy tempting.

But also don’t know whether getting a cheap 925 or 1125 (which there are a few floating around now) would be a good option or whether it’s just making it needlessly hard for my self

I’m on the 72A+ mast and haven’t really heard any reviews of the new HAs on A+ gear rather than the HPM

Cheers Van,

What had you previously been riding and how much do you weigh

1 Like

I weigh about 140lbs/63kg. I started proning about 2 months ago on the MA1225, then the MA800 for a bit. I do have the performance mast, FWIW, which feels rock solid as far as flex and connection go. I am a fan of the system for sure.

For the last three weeks or so I’ve been on the Unifoil Progression 140 which is really close to 900sq cm. When I switched from the MA to the Progression, I leveled up big time for sure. The Progression was so much easier right away, and I had some of my first successful pumps. It definitely made a marked improvement in my riding overall.

When I jumped on the HA 880 yesterday, it was the same thing again. I leveled up again and made a huge leap forward in my pumping and control right from the first wave. I’m really excited to see how it goes over the next few sessions. I finally felt comfortable on the board, like I wasn’t fighting to keep my front foot far enough forward. That’s been my issue with all of my set ups so far is it always feels like I can’t get the mast far enough back in the tracks, but this foil finally felt settled and wasn’t boosting me on takeoffs and drops. I’m really excited to see what I can do on this thing, it feels awesome and I finally feel like I might actually be able to do a 2 for 1 before too long.

2 Likes

The hp masts is big leap from the a plus, but if your running a 72 then it should be alright. The longer the mast the more flex they were seeing with wider wings.

The 1125 for small to medium surf is a great wing. Pair with the 180 or 205 tail. It’s an easy wing to use compared to the 925 and has a relatively low stall speed and much lower compared to the 925.

They are a third of the price of the new ha wings as well.

1 Like

Little update.
A friend (I’d met in a supermarket carpark cos I saw he had a foil in his car) happened to be rigging up when I arrived to go for a prone last Friday.

Was a really fun session on a little right hander.

I managed to pump off a wave and at least got further out than where I’d taken off which was a cool feeling and tried to pump over to another peak and maybe got 50 meters. Little bit of progress.

Was then able to try my friends set up (72, HA925, v tail)
Started out by butchering the first few take offs by just pushing the nose through the water.
Figured that out and then managed a few fun rides.
Holy shit it is so much quicker than my 1550v1. Not that I had a massive go but wasn’t maybe as big a change once actually up an riding in terms of difficulty as I was expecting. Did stall it out by going to slow a couple of times.
Pumping wise the couple attempts I had I felt a bit balanced or didn’t have my feet right so didn’t really feel like I had any good attempts. Even with my wobbliness it felt like I could travel pretty just due to how much quicker it went through the water.

Then when I went back to my 1550 the first wave felt like I was foiling in honey.

Think I’d maybe try pickup a 925 if I found one cheap enough. And just try deal with it being a tricky wing :man_shrugging:.

Anyways. Little ramble of an update

1125 is absolutely amazing winging either the blue or red shim.

Look into KD Maui tails when dropping down to a 925. I have the classic 13" and it allows me to pump for days on the 925.

1 Like

Yeh would love to give a KD a go and am super keen to give a 1125 a demo if I get the chance. /Would love to demo any of the HA’s on the wingding.

Winged up about 5km from my starting point the other day (in a bay) on a reasonably light day. Was about 15ish knots. And then tried to down wind. A couple 300 metres long rides with wing flagged out was best I managed…
At the very early stages of seeing how it might be even possible to downwind on foil and it’s fuckinnnnn exciting.