Gofoil rs850ha tail

Hi, does anybody knows what is the best tail for this foil? I’m using the 14.5 ftl from gofoil but I get too much lift in head high waves.
I was thinking maybe about a kdm? Smaller ftl? Progression?
Any help appreciated.

Im a certified tinkerer and even I’m not a powerful enough warlock to make that gofoil flat mount work. Stick to the FTL 12.5. Or do what I did and chop that 14.5 till you like it

1 Like

FTL 10.5 is good.

Is this for prone or?

It’s for winging in waves.
Maybe it’s not the tail and that front wing is not the ideal for those conditions :man_shrugging:

The 10.5 long is the best tail for the rs850 in my experience by a long way.

2 Likes

I have used the rs850 with FTL 12.5, FTS 14, and FTL 17. I hear a lot of buzz about the FTL 10.5 but have not gotten my hands on one yet. The 850 is a lifty little thing. At those speeds I’m sure it’s challenging not to breach.

I’d say 10.5 tail or go for the rs1000.

1 Like

Oho yeah, 100% on the RS 1000. I don’t know why people wing on crazy high aspects! Expecially in waves the 1000 is a weapon!

1 Like

I went with the 850 because my other small foil is the 1150 and thought it would better.
I’ll ask a friend his 1000 to try it.

I also went for the 850HA thinking it would be a better drop from the 1150 (seems like years ago now). Most agree, the 850 has nearly the lift of the 1150. I did get the long pedestal to work (TME inspired) with a 14 Marlin but it is… long, in that you’re not gonna snap a turn on that combo (but turns decent enough). The 14.5 ft-l is really a high front foot pressure tail by comparison.

1 Like

yeah, my assessment of the 850 is that it has alot of magic to ride bigger than the surface area would indicate - soothing the savage ego of all the big boys who want to be part of the small high aspect club! I feel like whatever design witchcraft made that happen resulted in alot of comprimises in other areas. The top end is bad, not the best turning, unstable in alot of conditions…But us fatties can say that we ride something equivalent to a lift 120…

2 Likes

Have you tried the lift 120?

Yeah, I still have it, On a custom salvaged together, nl mast set up. The 120 is a much better surfing foil, it’s a lot better top end, But absolutely no bottom at my weight - 220 lbs. If I so much just think about pumping the 120 it drops out. I think a lot of that is just my weight, and the 120 it just isn’t built nearly stiff enough. That’s where the gofoil really shines.

2 Likes

I find the 14.5 only good for weaker conditions with the 850. 10.5 enables a bunch more top end and still turns well considering the setup.

1 Like

I like the rs850 with the foilparts 13.5 flat tail. Sometimes with a .25 + shim. The foilparts GoFoil tail mount allows you to use other tails, but also allows you to change the length of the fuse, which can help with pumping/turning/stability.

1 Like

What do you use that setup for?

Mostly for prone and wing. We don’t get head high waves here though. For winging in bigger waves, I like the rs975-x