Learning frustration

So this is my 3rd month learning to prone Foil in Byron bay, AUS (yes, where all the cool foiling videos are made). I’d say the first month was great, every time I would learn something new, but now I’m stuck and I don’t know what to do.
Let me be more specific:
I’m riding a 5,6 Jaeger board (it’s quite narrow) with a mid aspect ratio foil (I’m 5’8), I can sometimes pop up but then lose balance after 2/3 seconds.
Sadly, to pop up you need the right wave and that’s when I’m having issues. I find myself paddling all the time (freaking board and foil are so heavy to paddle with) to find the right wave and when I do It’s either not enough lift (70%), too much (15%) or the nose goes down (15). If I get to lift i also can’t measure how far from the surface I am and then I get ejected (recently trying to adopt front foot pressure).
I think i would be doing so much better if i got more time on top of the board but must of the time im just paddling for the right wave (half deep in the ocean), some good ones are very close to the shore but then i get scared of hitting bottom.
All the paddling then affects my pop up, cause I’ve got half energy to do it. I always think an efoil would be way easier to gain that starting boost to go.
Don’t know what to do, I’m alone learning by myself and sometimes I consider that maybe I’ll just won’t get it. What im trying to say is that i dont mind falling multiple times, is just that i cant find enough waves to try to stand up.
Is the learning curve just too freaking long? Is this sport so wave dependent as I think it is (so far just very specific foam or small waves)? Should i try just getting a bit closer to the shore where the medium waves are to get more likely successful pop ups?. Need some advice, as this is something that I really want to learn. Thanks so much in advance!

Prone foiling is one of the hardest water sports in the world to learn. There’s a reason why so few people can do it. It’s going to take a lot of time and effort. Prone foiling was my first form of foiling (winging came after), I think I didn’t get a real ride until my 40th session or so. Just keep going out and you’ll be fine.

You could also just take the easy route that exists today by throwing money at a downwind board or a foil drive.

5 Likes

Have you gotten a More experienced foiler to try your set up? Get somebody else to try it just to make sure somethings not seriously messed up and not working at all. I suggested most people start by having the foil farther back in the tracks, Producing less lift. For your first couple rides, you should be able to drop in and get to your feet and still not be on foil then make a conscious decision to try to initiate foil by stepping on your back foot. It should get on foil for just a second or two with great difficulty. Once you’re comfortable with that sensation, then start moving the foil forward slowly Over a few sessions.

I’d also add that the better the waves are for surfing in the worse they are for Foiling! Especially learning

7 Likes

The name and model of your foil would help us give you a lot more advice.

The board i use is the Pegasus pro series, pretty sure is 5’6 but can’t tell for sure as i cant find any information about it. You can see it in this old clip and the foil is also a Jaeger pegasus foil set , front wing 840 mm, Rear wing 410 mm, mast 70 cm

I got it second hand from a local guy who learned on it, im pretty sure is fine although i had to put some epoxy recently at the nose cause of a very small fracture, nothing crazy. Still, ive seen this guy at the foiling spot and a friend of his said he also learned on it, my guess is that the board is okay.
I have the foil at the middle of the track as most of the time im not getting enough lift, maybe the problem are the waves im choosing.
At my rookie stage i can only go for a medium size, thin, almost breaking wave (if its already foam better) and deep enough in the ocean to not hit the foil. This is why i spend most of my time paddling.
Thanks so much for your advice!

yeah im not into the easy route, but i guess ill have to keep trying, cause when i see this guys flying over water i just want to be one of them. thanks a lot!

1 Like

OK, suspicion confirmed. Yes, you can learn on that kit. I learned on similar. However, the sooner you can move to a more modern foil the better off you will be. There’s a reason Adam Bennet’s isn’t riding that foil.

Should be people selling Cabrinha H series foils for cheap around there as they’re moving to Code. Basically anything that’s a well known brand and newer than a lift ha120. DM Zane Westwood on instagram and ask if he’s selling any beginner gear.

That foil will have tons of lift, so it explains why you’re getting boosted on all but the perfect wave. The more modern foil sections have smoother and more controlled lift. In the mean time just keep repeating to yourself, “more front foot”.

Yes to all these questions.

It is very hard, it gets way easier. Eventually you learn to time the paddle and it is effortless and you are buzzing around like a seagull harassing beginners and gliding open faces like a pelican.

A few of the people who bought gear ended up sorta fading out after 3-4 months of struggle. You kinda have to want it.

3 Likes

Hey mate, thanks so much for such detailed response. Yeah there may be a reason why I cannot find any info about the board I have at the moment. All the folks I’ve seen ride shorter and wider boards, yet I understand that’s what pro’s use.
Don’t think I’ll be able to get a new set up soon but I’ll stick to mine and remember like you said, to “keep more front foot”!.
Also, you reckon I should leave the foil back in the tracks??

1 Like

No way to know but to take a tool in the water with you. You have a lot of board to play with foot position. So I would just try to get the board balanced and then move foot position around from there.

1 Like

All great suggestions but it’s really hard to master if you’re foiling isn’t at least mid level. When i started i proned on light wind days with surf and if the wind was good then wingfoil. Its alot to purchase and learn but wingfoiling gets you on foil for long periods of time learning how to use your gear.
And in the end you’re better off having multiple skills for every day.

Pat yourself on the back. You are committed and have to stay committed to get this sport, especially if you are not foiling in any other capacity. Definitely an easier curve when you add towing or winging since you can learn how to foil by spending more time up.

Saying that, I recently had a buddy out and couldn’t stress front pressure being patient with your pop up. Make sure you have the speed and keeping the nose down as your paddling and catching the wave. Too much weight towards the back leads to drag and or lift off.

The board length should be plenty. I learned on a 4’5 x22. The width did help for stability. The foil was a 2400 low aspect so I had that sucker all the way back in the box.

Definitely don’t need a great wave. Just a breaking wave.

Just keep going after it. I basically gave up surfing to just learn to foil surf.

2 Likes

Things helped me.

1. Foil Drive, eFoil, winging, tow … basically anything that gets you more time on foil. If I’d pick one of those it would be Foil Drive because you’re fully in control and works in the surf. Lots of used “Assist +” coming to market at moderate price
  2. Upsizing from 30L to longer/wider 45L board (I’m 63kg )
  3. Positioning mast closer to tail to minimize early lift
2 Likes

Great responses here, and I’d hone in on a few of them:

• Flite eFoil introduction lesson will get you a good chunk of time controlling pitch. My wife did 2 lessons from zero foil experience and spent SO much time flying and making those brain connections.
  • get another foiler to ride your setup - it’s possible that something there in equipment is seriously limiting you.
  • Go foiling in crumbling junky onshore waves. Somewhere you’re not competing for waves and can get lots of opportunities to pop up.
  • Don’t stop. Being a prone foiler means committing to sucking at something for several months. Be one of the resilient few that break through the other side.
2 Likes

Im with you on this one 92 sesh here and still dont connect =) dont get discouraged tho , there a lot of micro adjustment one micro progression by one micro progression, changing gear will probably help it’s seem your foil doesnt give you enough lift for your weight or you are not going on the right condition.
Smaller condition are better to learn 40 to 70cm (1,3ft to 2,2ft) , im quite happy with side on with less than 10knots , but you have to find the right combo for your spot , look for a slow flat wave where you can predict where it’s gonna break , i like small tidal coef too because some spot literaly change between tide , small tidal coef limit that but you need some depth .
What helped me i think is a foil with a bigger ratio , the bigger ratio gave a less brutal lift compared to low ratio foil with a lot of volume, it’s easier to maintin flying. Your have to find the right size for your weight, i wasted a long time with that.
I think wingfoil might help only if you do wave surf and freefly , otherwise is not the same balance as you have the wing to stabilize you.

1 Like