Some considerations concerning learning prone

I don’t mean to brag, but I might be an authority on how hard it can be to learn to foil. I bought my first prone board(Armstrong FG) in the fall of ‘21, and yesterday I almost made my first connection. Based on this experience, I thought I’d record some things that affect one’s progression, some of which might not be talked about much.

The aforementioned FG did not pair well with my takuma foils, wasting a winter, and also leaving with me with some PTSD concerning being over foiled. I’d size down so much that if I didn’t launch at take-off, I wouldn’t be able to get on foil even if I could stand up on it. I switched boards with a buddy and immediately it all felt WAY easier, but my hesitation to size up continued to be an issue until fairly recently. I’ve mentioned this in previous posts, but it leads to new revelations:

Discussions with our crew and increased confidence has led me to appreciate a foil that engages early. This seems to create stability, makes the board really skim allowing easier paddling(?), and less water in the face(?), as you press the board against the water while standing up. Without that popping up seems a bit harder, but you have to be able to hold it down. The angle on the takuma fuse, and the higher angle of attack on the PNG Axis(I’ve been enjoying the 850/mostly 910b, I’m 77kg btw), or a mast plate shim seem to do that.

A factor that I stumbled into that helps with and probably allowed me to figure out the above advice, is having a board with some nose rocker. Tangent: this winter, I came to understand that I was very inflexible in the hips(more on this later), with led me to find a board with more deck recess for placing the front foot. I can’t really try boards much here in Maine, so my internet research led me to the KT wing drifter in 38L. It didn’t turn out to have that much recess, but it has a ton of nose rocker, which I thought might work almost as well so I kept it(and added strips of deck grip on the sides to act as yoga blocks). It turns out that the rocker made it much harder to pearl it, which in turn made me embrace catching later, getting forward, pressing down, and thus being less frightened of a nice big foil.

It is true that I am inflexible enough that my personal trainer was impressed in the wrong way, but there was another factor too. A bit ago another foiler mentioned he got cold while we were walking back to the cars. A bit after that I started wondering, since I haven’t been cold all winter almost, if I was over dressed. I had been using my 6.5/5 Patagonia because my 5/4 had holes in it. Everyone talks about booties, so it didn’t occur to me that an extra thick, thick wetsuit would shut me down. But it was true that I was in like month 3-4 without making progress, and my last session before getting a new 5/4 in the mail saw no successful pop ups. I’ve had 3 sessions since getting it, and in that time I’ve averaged, maybe 95% success in at least getting up and foiling in front of the wave. This last one really illustrates how important gear is, 1.5mm of extra rubber = 0 success.

So first winter wasted from wrong board, second winter wasted maybe from wrong wetsuit. Which is a bummer since I spend much of my summers away from waves. Oh well……it’s the progression I really crave, so I’m in a good spot now. Like my son who is reading Harry Potter 3 right now. I’m actually quite jealous of him that he has all that ahead of him….

3 Likes

Have you tried winging? It’s pretty fun. You can still ride waves doing it. You start standing up.

1 Like

Oh sure, I wing a bunch. Along most everything else. The better I get the less interested I get though, I almost stopped climbing as soon as I climbed 5:13. So I’m pretty obsessed with prone. Where I have time to go I usually have to deal with getting closed out so that’s another big factor. Actually believing I can pump through the whitewash is what I need to work on next. I don’t often really try but rather just give up.

What I do for improving the popup, is doing extremely slow popup (5 sec long) at home, real slow-mo. It’s kind of a yoga inspired exercise. I’m not an expert but I believe it improves both flexibility and strength required for the prone foil pop up.

3 Likes

Changing from 4/3 summer suit to 5.5/4.5 and then adding 7mm boots later (also random choice, now have Solite 3mm boots, really good) both had a real impact on my flexibility and a few waves to adjust to it all, primarily issues on dragging feet on pop up and missed placements etc. far more so than surfing.

Nice compX excel suits too, the cold water struggle is real. I’m now finding that getting about as many links as I have the lungs for and not technique blocking means I overheat very quickly when the sets are consistent, but don’t think I could do much less neoprene as if there is a long lull I chill up. Hope to spend more time in a 4/3 with hood and just keep moving. 7-10c south UK water temps.

Low volume board also means more submersion, and much more chill. Session on a SUP and I was completely overheating.

Boardies and 1mm top crew have it easy!!

2 Likes

Maybe it’s our version of altitude training. Yeah the thick suits and boots pretty much canceled it for me my first winter prone. Gonna be superhuman when it warms up :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah I can’t imagine warm weather and a bar and channel. I’d probably be bored by now.

1 Like

Regarding your hip flexibility issues, I had the same problem that eventually led to an injury and doctors telling me I probably needed to have my hip sockets reshaped. Freaked me the f out. After some some searching online, I found these two guys that came up with a great routine and an invaluable tool: the hip stick. Basically allows you to smash all that tight fiber and knots that build up on your inner thigh into oblivion. Super painful and relieving. Pain free and much more flexible than before!

2 Likes

sounds like solicitation… :grin:

1 Like

Don’t mess with my get rich quick scheme :joy:

2 Likes

Totally agree. After a couple of years of winging (on waves) I am at the point where I feel I am foiling as much as I am winging. I am in a better position now to try prone foiling (and be humbled). Winging provides many transferable skills when freeflying including reading the waves and pumping.

1 Like

A little update: after a lot of stretching of my hips, my pop up seems much better and more consistent. Part of that consistency is that I’ve switched back to grabbing the rails instead of hands flat. Maybe more flexibility allows me to do it now where before I had to push up with my fingers to get my foot in. The problem was if anything was off it was hard to correct, so there were sessions with perfect conditions and my pop up felt good, and sloppy sessions where I’d be denied. Now I can hold the board in place even when there’s something wonky going on, so as I said much more consistent. Wish me luck as the thicker suits and mitts return……