Learning on Foil Drive Gen 2

F One DW Pro 6’7 x20 x 100L
Progression 170
Unifoil Progression 80
Foil Drive Gen 2 Max, motor pod at 20mm and base is shimmed 4mm because of step bottom board.
5 sessions

Issue 1
Getting up on Foil no problem
Finding turns to be unstable. Board wants to dive down toward water. Struggling to apply enough outside pressure. Playing with twisting to bring nose through.

Issue 2
Struggling to stay up on Foil above motor. Getting a couple pumps then catastrophic failure.

I know I’m just starting and expecting to struggle. Just wanting to make sure my set up isn’t holding me back unnecessarily. The Max battery plus shim plus thick board make me feel pretty disconnected from the foil.

If I need to suck it up and just keep going I can do that. TIA

I don’t understand ‘outside pressure’ and you don’t mention if you’re on flat water, chop or waves, but check the technique videos on the FoilDrive YouTube channel. You might be porpoising from using too much throttle.
The crashes are just because there’s an enormous brick under your board. One touch and it’s over, kind of thing. You’ll get used to flying high on the mast, just work on that.

1 Like

Prior to trying to pump. Be sure to build speed and get going pretty fast prior to “ollie up” Also play with the mast location. I was shocked that on my current board, it worked best with mast all the way back. Board prior to that, had it all the way forward.

2 Likes

Move your mast forward, sounds like it’s too far aft.

1 Like

I’m still on flat water.
By outside pressure I mean when in a turn, I need to apply pressure to the board on the outside edge, meaning outside of the turn or the side that up, not down. Otherwise the board dives down. I’m doing more of an offset stance which is helping but I still dont feel like I can do an aggressive turn. I’m starting to think the 170 is too wide for this in a 20" wide board. A wider board I could spread my feet out. But I feel like I’m out of board

I think Airsails is right, that your mast is too far aft. Put a wrench in your wetsuit so you can adjust it on the beach (or on the water if you don’t mind risking losing a wrench).
I don’t monkey around with mast adjustment. I stick ‘er at the back, then stick ‘er at the front, then stick ‘er in the middle. No half-centimetre adjustment for me!
Not until I’ve done the above first, anyway.

Tried that. It made it much worse.

I think I should try the 140 Progression wing. Just feels like I can’t get my feet wide enough to have the control I’m looking for.

Narrower tail will loosen it up a lot too.

2 Likes

Can you turn on a wave without the foil drive?

1 Like

I think it’s pretty safe to say the p170 isn’t the issue so I wouldn’t advise purchasing a p140 to “fix it”

The p170 is decently nimble and there’s heaps of foils with an even wider span which turn

I used to really enjoy my p170 in low energy on a 17" wide board with a FDA+

1 Like