“Mid-length” prone boards?

My hope is the boards don’t need to be much bigger than the prone boards. Catching unbroken waves mostly technique and timing, I can catch unbroken waves on a 4’4x16" 32L board when the timing is right and the wave stands up just enough but doesn’t trip over, but takes a ton of energy I use the boogie bounce and some finless kicks and it works really well. I think 50L volume and a bit of length and I would be able to catch super weak waves.

I think calling it a mid-length is exactly right. A performance board with paddling power and early entry. Historically a 50-60L board paddled poorly for all that volume due to the width, and was effectively a foam beginner board equivalent. A 60L board aimed at advanced riders is a very interesting idea.

Key issue for me is the thickness, I would like to find the optimum balance between it paddling like a canoe on the water and it not feeling like a canoe on foil. I think recessed decks to allow for more effective volume while minimising thickness might be worth something? Similar to race knee board. 100L is way too much foam if you don’t need to SUP it

4 Likes