Production Downwind Boards

Are there any production boards at 18"? For the relevant volume I couldn’t see any. Probably a good idea on DIY to push the boundary a bit there.

Cruzader 6’3 x 18.5"
Sultan 7’2 x 21"
Armstrong 96L: 6’8 x 19 ½” x 5 ⅝”
Axis 7’6" x 21", 100L

6’9" FFB Dagger is 18", 90L.
6’3" Appletree is 18.5", 79L. Challenging dims!
6’6" and 7’ Vampire boards are both 18.5" (90/95L respectively)

All lower volume than you want though.

1 Like

Kalama 7’8 is 18.5 at 92L too, ok I’m convinced to go closer to 18"

17"??

Aiming to get to 18" wide at ~95-100L without going above 5" thick as that to me is a consideration. The Appletree at 5" felt really good.

Something along these lines I suppose

3 Likes

The new Sunova “Prone” boards are all 18” wide. Come in a range of lengths between 6’10 to 8’ and range of volumes.

Consider your stance offset also. I’m a small guy with small feet and the 19” width of the 100L Dagger requires a pretty tight stance. I don’t think I’d want it much narrower.

1 Like

Do you end up with a more offset stance on the bigger boards? I can imagine probably do. My prone board is 16” so I know I don’t have an extreme offset by that measure but don’t know where I’ve ended up on the wide boards

95 to 100kg and happily awaiting a Sunova Casey Elite 7.6x23x136l
I was for a long time considering the 7.3x23x128l because most of my wavesups are around the 120-125l mark, but because we can do a lot of DW on the lakes here in the Netherlands as well I went for the bigger size. I hope it can doubles as an super lightwind wingboard and maybe weak/slow waves wave sup foil board).

I guess these are closer to custom hand shapes, but this caught my eye
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsEbiaaoBt1/?img_index=3

1 Like

It’s a triple concave hull … pretty interesting indeed.

Appletree Skipper DW officially launched:

1 Like

Can someone point to reviews that compare the production downwind boards ? Seems like quite a few options out there these days…

KT Dragonfly board info from Big Winds:

1 Like

Didn’t see this on here yet, price has me calculating what I can get rid of…

https://www.naishfoils.com/product/hover-downwind/

This might be a hot take (very caffinated) but I don’t see why anyone buying a DW board wouldn’t buy a Kalama. Aside from the ‘moral’ argument of the fact that he pioneered the current generation of DW boards, its only $100-$350 more than most other brands, and the quality is suburb from what I understand (too poor to afford one at the moment). It seems like it is objectively the best, most proven design as well.

Am I missing something?

6 Likes

Until very recently, downwind board supply was very limited and some folks purchased whatever they were able to get their hands on. Not many folks have provided objective feedback on the differences between downwind models…

1 Like

F-One is coming out with a Rocket SUP DE Pro which can been here:

I can’t mention details yet but it’ll be available in 3 different widths.

Meant to type DW PRO

That one looks pretty good. There is another one floating around with a cutout for the foil box that looks gimmicky. Hopefully just a proto.

I haven’t seen the one with cut outs, do you have a pic?

Jack Ho is riding it. Check his insta.

1 Like