Progression limitations and general complaining

work is definitely a progression limiter. if anyone can find a solution for that…

2 Likes

Limited time in proper surf is my biggest gripe! I’m a 5+ hour drive to open ocean swell, but get loads of wind and windswell around 1-2ft high and occasionally bigger, but usually with super short periods around 3-5 seconds. My improvement with prone foiling is slow going this way, but trying to use local conditions to progress and enjoy the sensation of wave riding at home. Part of this is riding our windswell while winging, but it isn’t providing me with enough speed unless the wind is really cranking, during which I can flag the wing for maybe up to a minute and get a few turns on a wave. I’m using gong veloce 986 sqcm and fluid 1555 sqcm, but thinking I need something higher aspect as these are only around 5.5. Tricky thing is one has to turn super tight to stay on a 3 sec period slow moving wave face without running into the next one. So trying to figure out what high aspect foil setup will allow for super tight turns while being efficient and pumpable to speed to the next bump where my current foils fail to get back up to speed after loosing swell energy. That Onofoil deal looks good, wonder how efficient those are?

1 Like

Interesting responses. Time is the one thing you can’t really buy. I am 95% retired so theoretically have lots of time to foil (and I do). But wind in the summer in New England is sporadic and prone waves are a 1.5 hour drive away. So I have a boat and wake foil 2 to 4 times a week, then fit in wing and prone sessions when conditions allow. I will be headed south in about a month to live in a van and chase wind, waves and warm water. I have no complaints.

Age is often seen as a factor or an excuse but I’m not buying it. I started wake foiling at 62, winging and prone at 63 and will turn 65 in a couple of months. I feel like I’m 16 again. To people thinking they’re getting old in their 40s, I have advice; stay off the couch and keep charging. I mountain bike multiple times a week, play hockey once a week, skied a lot before heading south to foil, cut and split my own firewood and generally am physically active everyday. I admit I am extremely fortunate to be able to do these things. I hope to be foiling into my 80s. Imagine what the sport will be like in 15 years!

11 Likes

Anyone want to start a foil share program so we can all try the gear that we can’t afford? I feel like there are better set ups out there but I can’t afford to shop around.

3 Likes

If you’re in Southern California we’ve got Cloud IX, AXIS and Unifoil reps. Plus thefoilshop does demos. Pretty nice honestly.