Tail shape in prone boards

To be fair my test only made the tail thicker. What I think would be totally different would be to make the tail wider… but that is a much more difficult task, hence ordering a new board seems the better option.

From everything said here I am thinking a bit of everything. Definitely more volume. Definitely a wider tail. And definitely a bit more length. Not 100% sure on the width increase, but maybe a bit.

Current board is 4’5 x 19.5 @ 32L. I think something around 4.8 x 20 @ 36-38L and with a wider tail, more like a slightly longer Omen Flux, rather than a new style mid length. If I eventually get something new I will let you all know if its any better or not.

my #1 takeaway is that traditional surfing has determined our aesthetic for what a good board looks like. The more a foil board looks good to a surfers eye, generally the worse it is. I shaped a board that looked like hot garbage and it was magic. New board looks much better but doesn’t ride nearly as well.

4 Likes

CONCLUSION… Short version… I moved the track back around 15cm and it made all the difference. Feel like a f**king idiot, and almost embarrassed to post, but maybe it helps someone down the way!

Long version… After much frustration in bigger/harder conditions. I grabbed my old board and it was like another world. I was literally lying in the water, barely paddling and letting 1.5 head high white water smash into me, and then I would pop out in front totally in control. One of the biggest feelings was it seemed like I had so much nose in front of me, which gave stability in the white water and also gave more leverage to keep the board from flying away.

After the session I tried to study why. The board is tiny bit longer, tiny bit wider and has a completely different bottom shape, but then I realised that the track was miles further back. It was actually one of the main reasons to get the new board, as I always felt the foil needed to be further forward. When I first got the new board I had spent the first days finding the good mast position, BUT in hindsight those days were in perfect conditions.

So next session I moved the track back around 15 cm (6 inches) on the new board and it was like a completely different animal. Biggest difference was that now suddenly I felt the board was 6 inches longer in the take off. More stable and more leverage to push the nose down. For sure the turning/pumping got worse/changed… but suddenly I was making every take off.

Since then I have been moving it around a lot more depending on the conditions and getting much better success rate when it’s big. As I said a bit embarrassing to even post this, but wanted to share it and maybe help some other idiot get better.

7 Likes

Matt,

what size and year Lethal did you ride? What would consider too narrow. I wanted a quick board to get in early and not for foam take offs. The lethal seemed good dims for this . If it’s not great to ride then I’m not sure. I haven’t ridden anything under 19”.

2022 model I guess, LETHAL 4’4 x 16 15/16" x 3 3/16". - 32L. much the same as the new one

A few people tried it when I had it and all mostly hated it, because of the very narrow standing platform. I got used to it but then when I got an Appletree skipper, going back to the lethal was a real nightmare. Too narrow isn’t great, especially at the back foot

I would definitely consider another one in the 40L range (at 70kg) as a bigger version, that would work well, and the price is really good. I would say if you go for one, go larger then maybe you’ll have less of the issue. I think 18" is for me personally a minimum width.
Though it didn’t last very well. Dings very easily.

I had something similar with a new build downwind board, where I couldn’t figure out the tuning. Back of box solved it. Easy to overlook!