Takuma Front Wing Connection to Fuselage Slop

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSarFawjuc3/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

I did the epoxy way it it was fine, but honestly just prefer the aluminum can shims. Works great

2 Likes

I have done about 7 epoxy potting jobs on Takuma and Gong foils.
Only 1 went wrongā€¦as in it would not come off no matter what.

But i reccomend and use Alu foil tape nowadays.Quick,easy,worry free.

The key to the epoxy potting is to NOT pot the tip. There should be some kind of air pocket at the end so your not fighting vacuum on removal.

With the Takuma wings the electrolytic corrosion is just brutal. Half the reason I pot is to just protect the fuse. I feel like foil tape makes it worse, pulling apart to reveal all that salty dusty cancer on the fuse I just hate it.

1 Like

Where do you prefer tom place the tape? Only on the flat sections on the side without the screen holes? Or other method?

Have you had problems when switching to other wings where more tape is needed on one than the other?

I just realized the threads in the front bolt of my fuse are nearly gone due to corrosion. Not sure how Iā€™m going to remedy that. Maybe fill with JB Weld then use a tap.

Permanently bond the wing on and the bolts donā€™t matter

This is after +3 months and many sessions with no dissasembly.Alu tape looks rubbed in some spots but that is about it.

The white stuff is Tef45 (cheaper tefgel) and i am adding it todayā€¦when i set this foil up in June i did not have any.

No dust, no signs of corrosion that i can see.

Alu is used as sacrificial anode in alu boats sometimes, i wonder if the alu tape is doing a bit of that.

I started using some 0.2mm zinc sheets (https://amzn.to/3LjKH2G) in addition to 0.1mm aluminum from cans to shim my front wings. I think the zinc has kept the corrosion from getting worse, but I havenā€™t done any controlled tests.

I found a solution to this problem;) itā€™s a one piece foil and fuselage with a carbon mast and tail

Disclosure: this is my shop but I love the silk so much I do have a used kujira 980 available for sale at best offer + shipping (pm me for the kujira)

3 Likes

You on the 850 or 1050?
Could you do a review and compare it to the v1 Kujiras? ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I was qualified to do a comparative review I would but Iā€™m not, below are some reasons why.
Kujira:

• I was a complete beginner when I started riding that foil, havenā€™t ridden it in 8+ months
  • Only have the 980 front and itā€™s corresponding stabilizer so have no way to ride it anymore

Silk

• received them 4 weeks ago and Iā€™ve had the demos foils 3 days, my demos have been out the rest of the timeā€¦ however every multi day demo has led to a purchase
  • my experience so far:
    (Iā€™m a terrible prone surfer, rarely link waves, struggle to take off) in gutless 2-3 ft Gulf of Mexico waves the 1050 was a delight, take off was smooth I felt very in control to regulate mast height, pumping ability was great I was able to pump back out and link a wave. The foil has some flex designed into it and it feels like it pumps for you a bit much like a free dive fin.
    Wakefoiling (Iā€™m average, ride strapless, can air out on the first wake, pump out and back into the back wakes) rode the 850 and the 1050, for 15 minutes each. The 850 was definitely best for carving and airs but the pumping and glide of the 1050 made it interesting for those who like to get back further on the wakes. Iā€™m excited to spend more time on the 850.

The rail to rail transitions on the silk are unlike any other foil Iā€™ve ridden(this is in part due to dihedral arc of the foil) and the forgiveness/smoothness through whitewash and prop wash were also amazing (it feels like this comes from the whale humps). The response is also noticeable with the monobloc foil and fuselage paired to a UHM mast

2 Likes

Iā€™d be very interested to hear a comparison btwn silk and kujira v2. Assuming they are similar design itā€™d be interesting to see what difference monobloc really makes. Lots of variables and just having a different mold for the same file could throw the comparison off soā€¦.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to do what I can to help line up a comparison.

Regarding files/molds, differences for the same foil I can only speak for AFS but we are a foil manufacturer the office is the factory. All of our foils are made in France and our quality control tolerances are the highest in the industry so there is no difference between one silk 850 and another silk 850. We donā€™t have to fly to another continent or wait for a container to arrive to do quality control. If thereā€™s a defect or the mold gets damaged we see it immediately.

I did this potting process to cure sloppy fit of 1210 to fuse on a carbon T-bar mast. After cure, I attempted to remove the wing, to no avail (and some minor trailing edge damage, dangit). Next attempt at freeing the wing is going to be some creative setup with a comealong. I used PVA (green) mould release on the fuse, epoxy only on rear half of fuse. Iā€™m scared I may have just created the most travel-unfriendly fuse/mast/wing assembly ever! Any ideas for separating?? Thanks!

Update: I set up a come along, carefully distributing load on TE with cardboard and webbing, and LE of mast. Cranked up the tension, did some strong wiggling to attempt to break epoxy/mold release bondā€¦and nothing! Careful use of heat gun on throat of wingā€¦nothing. Left it set up and went hiking, came back, twisted the wing a few times and off she came!