Why call it prone foil and not shortfoiling?

Can we change the language?

Why pronefoil and not shortfoil…it makes sense

Short? Surf foiling makes sense.

1 Like

Surf foiling can’t be confined to prone foiling. It also includes wing and SUP surf foiling. They are all surfing a wave on a foil and fit the definition of surfing.

While we’re on the subject, we need to stop calling foils wings.

2 Likes

what about a wing wing

2 Likes

Supfoiling = big sup + foil
Wingfoiling = inflatable wing + foil
Shortfoil(prone foiling)= short boards + foils
Downwinding = foiling windy shit

1 Like

Because you’re riding a prone board? Remember back when surf foiling was all the rage and the SUP guys were on 5’2"s. Those were short foil boards too.

2 Likes

I ride the same short board winging as prone…

3 Likes

People prone on long DW boards too. So would you call that longfoiling? I think you’re looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist

6 Likes

I agree.

Prone means lying face down, so I thought it was a specific kind of foiling sport, where people don’t intend to do a take-off, don’t stand up, etc. and just remain flat on the board.

It’s so counter intuitive.

I agree that the naming should be:

• surf foiling: using a surf like board, which means rather small, usually on more curvy waves
  • sup foiling: using a SUP like board, which means rather large, usually on less curvy waves
  • downwinding is just a specific type of SUP foiling
  • pump foiling: means you’re mainly pumping to power the board, usually using a very short board
  • wingfoiling, kitefoiling, efoiling, etc. are described by the specific powering source they use.
4 Likes

Trying to change language that is already adopted seems esoteric. Like correcting people on saying “boogie boards” — it’s doesn’t serve a real need.

In 2023 there are still people that refer to winging/wing-foil as the “I dunno… wingy thingy? windinger-or-what are we calling this thing now…?” Who exactly does this serve?

2 Likes

I agree. Prone foil sounds super weird and awkward. It almost sounds like describing a erotic tantric yoga position. Surf foil is what it should’ve been always been called. U don’t call sup surfers surfers U call them suppers. But a supper can still surf a wave, even surfskis can surf a wave, heck even jetskis can surf a wave, but U wouldnt call that surfing, it would be caller surfski and jetski surfing. Pure surfing is simply a short or longboard. Same should apply for foils. As long as you’re paddling in without a paddles regardless if you’re on a DW board or 20l, you’re surf foiling as it mimics surfing almost exactly.

1 Like

:smile::pray:t3: I come in peace

Im here to surffoil. If we do it wjth an aluminum mast we can say we aluminum foil :rofl:

6 Likes

I fully agree. In Australia they seem to use wing ding and that’s fine with me too.

One thing that bugs me is referring to wing foiling as wing surfing (Naish trademarked it or “wing surfer”?). The foil is what makes the whole thing work! Seeing people like Kai and Nathan van Vuuren use a wing with a conventional surfboard in nuking conditions further proves the point.

I dont get why surfboards get to monopolize the term surfboards. Surfboards nowadays also encompass foilboards as they are being surfed on in the waves, but to properly differentiate I think we need to petition to change the name to finboards. You have a short finboard, long finboard, and SUP finboard. Alternatively, you have foilboards, that come in the same short, long, and SUP variants. I urge the community next time they see a normal surfer to refer to his board as a finboard.

In addition, instead of saying “going surfing”. Say going finboarding or finning. Same way foilers go foiling. Finboarders go finning.

1 Like

In addition, instead of saying “going surfing”. Say going finboarding or finning. Same way foilers go foiling. Finboarders go finning.

What fins?

It’s all surfing. We already categorize this stuff: shortboarding, logging, finless, bodyboarding, foiling, SUP… etc. Riding waves is surfing no matter what the equipment

3 Likes

If you ride it in the surf its surfing :slight_smile: ?

I foilsurf mainly
And shortboard (surfing a surfboard thats short in the surf)

Im a surfer: foil in surf, longboard in surf, and shortboard in surf

there are foilboards and there are slowboards. that gets to the heart of the difference. They both have their uses. I mostly foil, but I take out my slowboard when I just want to bob around in the line-up and bullshit with my friends that don’t foil. If there waves are really intense, I might take a slowboard out to tame things down to a manageable level. its a tool for your quiver.

1 Like

Haven’t done any slowing for a few years now. Only foiling.

If you paddle on your knees to a wave is still prone or its called knee surfing?

1 Like