Winging with the Progression 170 🙌

Anyone know when the 95cm Katana masts are coming out? The 83cm seems a bit too short for wind swell, waves, and chop. I currently use a 90cm Cedrus and find it to be a great length for winging. A few more additional centimeters would be better than losing some.

1 Like

Great question. Rode the Katana 75 yesterday in some chop and a little swell and was definitely missing my 96cm mast going upwind.

Do you wish you had the 83? I’m leaning to 75 for prone since I can keep my 82 CM Axis and use the adapter with it but havent really decided which Katana to get yet

The Unifoil 950 Katana is available now.

Where can I get it? It says coming soon on the Uni website.

75cm is the right size where I prone as it’s really shallow. I bought the axis>uni adapter as I have an old 90cm AL axis mast in my garage. Haven’t got it yet but looking forward to having that extra length.

Yeah I got the 75 also, my spot can get a little shallow with a sand bar at lower tides. Also yesterday I totally realized I could buy that adapter and continue using my Axis 82 CM mast for winging, so thats pretty awesome.

The 170 jumps pretty well too.

5 Likes

On Lift HA, the KD Marlin unlocks new top end speeds that with stock tails you would not get to period. I wonder if it’s similar on the progression. I’ve only used the 170 with the stock shiv and it felt great, but I didn’t need to go super fast that day. I wonder if for winging or for Downwinding faster conditions etc. It’s the Marlin that’s making it work so well for you? The Marlin legit adds maybe 10-15% top end on for example Lift 170HA… Pretty mind blowing

I have not tried the marlin but what you describe is also true (prob a bit less) for the kd13r. Adding a good 10% top end on all foils I tried, while having everything remaining balanced. I run it on the progression 140 and it pairs well but the speed limitation is really the front wing.

The R series tail is awesome. For straight line speed and all out efficiency the Marlin is another level up. There’s a video of Kane winging a lift 170 w/ the marlin and when I first saw it I thought it was a joke.

170 with the marlin is epic. It what I use downwind and on runners. The glide gets better and top end is higher. I don’t use it much in the surf as in tight wraps it can slip at times and it a bit pitchier.

1 Like

I had a ridiculous session winging in the surf on the Prog170 with shunt tail no shim yesterday, full on unlimited powder carves in boardshorts!!!

4 Likes