Axis vs. Sabfoil for DW / Pump

Hi all! With Sabfoil releasing their new “Leviathan” foils and claiming the newest world record for flat water pumping, does anyone here have comparisons to the Axis PNG 1150/1300? In particular, I’m curious to hear about DW experience.

I’ll add another question that’s related. Does sabfoil have stabs that are cross-compatible with say takuma. I have takuma and an axis 1150 for pumping but I’d love to have something similar that I can use with my takuma/kd quiver.

sab is a few mm longer than takuma. I think it could work by “ovalizing” one of the two holes in the stab

1 Like

Cool, it looks like it’s bottom mount from a video I saw, so that’s better than axis which is top mount and different spacing to boot.

Why is bottom mount better than top mount? I’ve always been curious why some brands have rear wings mount on top/bottom

I just mean for compatibility. Btw I ended up adding a hole to my kd boomerang and making a shim with moldable plastic. Haven’t tried it yet though. Plan is to start with the 1150 when I get my kalama dw board.

Anyone have insight into the original poster’s question?

Since nobody has answered…. I have tried all three foils a couple times. No DW runs. Just wing or surf.

AXIS 1300 is the fastest by far. It is super fun to wing in very light winds. It’s lively. And it does turn. It does get going pretty early but not as early as an AXIS 1310. But once up on foil its so much more fun. Probably due to the top end speed and glide.

Big Leviathans are like the AXIS 1310. Optimized for lower speed pump. I only have a couple goes on a 1350 SABFoil. in micro micro surf… not what it was designed for. The 1350 is so stable that it does not recover under you like most foils do when you lose balance. It just keeps tracking straight. I’m sure you get used to it, but I didn’t get that dialed very well. Also the pumping feels different than most other foils… like, um, nose down and back footed. On the plus side… and the main reason for its existence, it sure stays in the air! Stall speed is sooo low. Like a Harrier jet landing.

It’s been a while that I’ve been on an AXIS 1150. It was a great foil in its day. A classic. I would bet the AXIS 1300 is better in just about every way today.

I would say the Leviathan would be best of all of them for learning to get up on foil in flat water and to learn to get flight going DW. But its not a free lunch! It does come with challenges. Mostly that it keeps going straight instead of turning under you when you lose balance, and the very different pump feel. Basically, once you get the basics down, you would likely want the AXIS 1300 for the higher speeds (relatively speaking) and the long glides at speed. Basically keeping up with the speed of wave better on a DW run. Just spitballin’ here.

Obviously people are making the Leviathan look GREAT, like Gwen and Damien. And it has set some flat water pumping records. So it sounds like I didn’t get it dialed. I need more time with it.

Not exactly the comments you were looking for! But some thoughts, and nobody else chimed in.

Oh, also, the SAB 72P mast was rigid and legit! Often the mast is the Achilles heel of these mega span foils.

Hope there’s something in there useful

EDIT: The Leviathan clearly does turn a bit… There’s video evidence of it on YouTube, and I was able to kick out of waves and pump back out to sea on a downwind board. But I don’t have enough reps on it to report properly. I bet it’s more of a slow speed yaw-based start to a turn, as opposed to the more familiar surfing-type carving / banking turn.

5 Likes