Benefits of locked in carving foils?

I’m wondering what are the benefits of a foil setup that locks in the turns (has a lot of resistance in the roll axis once the turn is started) vs one that is more pivoty (lets you adjust easily mid-turn). The foils that lock in may have other benefits (like lower drag and glide), but I’m wondering specifically if there’s a benefit to that style of turning itself. Is is like a carving snowboard where you can push more momentum into carving turns and the speed is redirected out more efficiently?

And what conditions favor carving foils vs pivoty foils? I’m asking because I learned on surf foils and have avoided foils that like to lock into a carve since I find them harder and less fun to use. But I’m wondering if I’m missing something, and if that kind of setup is something I should be experimenting with.

It’s just a style difference and I would say it’s purely personal preference. My ride partner is a deep carve flow rider and I’m a pivot rider and there’s no conditions that are better or worse for either. He’s pumping around out the back gliding into waves telegraphing turns so far in advance it’s like he had it all planned before hw even saw the set. I’m hacking around the shore break inside like a blindfolded 6 year old trying to hit a piñata.

All the carve foils are faster, easier pumping, more glide. If you want that mid aspect hack you have to be willing to pay the cardio price.

7 Likes

I love the acceleration and speed out of the turn on HA wings ,it’s a different style but very addictive and my favorite as you are always surprised at the options that open up with all that extra energy and speed you generate. You can still snap quick turns but only at low speeds. I find it hard to go back to slower foils after riding fast efficient ones……personal preference

2 Likes