Downwind Foil Travel Destinations

Couldn’t be more stoked on Downwind at the moment and excited to check out some new spots, other than the Gorge. We couldn’t ask for a better spot to call home but interested to hear where other people have had success with conditions and good runs?

1 Like

West Oz (Perth)
Summer downwind season has just begun.
25km coastal blue water runs on our doorstep.
Just watch out for the big fishes and balls of seaweed.

2 Likes

Seemingly where there are downwind surfski/paddle races.

Hawaii obviously prime.

Caribbean windward islands would be my bet?

Aus, South Africa have huge DW paddling scenes, but also huge :shark:

Northeast Brazil. Fortaleza-Cumbuco 30+km solo runs every day on board shorts

Foil Sessions shared a post on Instagram: "Downwind Barra do Ceará - Cumbuco 20km parte 1". Follow their account to see 266 posts.

10 Likes

Caribean French Island called Guadepoupe is hosting a sup/ski/oc/prone/foil Race end of january. It is a 40km race along the coast. I guess for US resident such as east coast it is pretty manageable to come.
Last year was light with seaweed on the way but still pretty fun.
There is also one really good surf foil wave.

There is the chat about it I did with James :

4 Likes

Hey @BigWinds !

Colombia, north coast, Puerto Colombia town we are having great conditions for downwinding. Windy season here is from late december till late march, but it’s still windy (just a bit lighter, still good over 15knts) till mid-late april.

No wetsuit required, easy access beaches.
Riding a 6’2"x22" and FS1150 Cloud IX

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnphHDcLvJu/

Looking forward to trying Millers Run this year, if there is one thing Cape Town has in abundance it is wind.

2 Likes

Southern France might be an interesting summer destination. Mistral wind is pretty predictable.

Cool video from F-one

Richard Boudia has lots of good runs in what looks like nuking mistral NW winds?

A detailed interview with Richard, sound is a bit crap at the start but gets better. An example of a run.

2 Likes

East coast of Attica, close to Athens looks pretty cool too!!

Here’s Dimitri’s spot
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgAKECOs74s/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

2 Likes

Making a list of downwind spots here

Eg some of them, with seasons for N. Hemisphere.

1 Like

I was just in taiwan, unfortunately without a board, but this time of year they have cranking nor-easterlys which run directly parallel to the coast basically every arvo 25-30kn+, the west side has long sand beaches, the water is warm, and its a cheap holiday

1 Like

Sounds dreamy. Do you know any locals or insta people that are into DW that I can follow up for details?

Started a page here

unfortunately not, didn’t see anyone foiling while i was there
there are a few surf communities on the east side and in the south and theres heaps of waves on the east that would be good for prone. Alex hayes was there recently for a shoot so i imagine the foiling community and travel there will grow over time

1 Like

Hi Scott , I live in Taiwan and doing prone foil and dw foil here ,
I’m pretty sure there are less 10 prone foilers here . :face_with_spiral_eyes:
I start SUP DW this summer ,I already try many route in Taiwan , here are some clips to see what condition looks like ,

if you will visit again , maybe contact me , we could do some run together. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

That first clip is amazing, big ground swell :clap:

Thanks for sharing those details, really cool. I’ve added them to the list :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome! I’m definitely keen to come back again some time, which area do you live in?

yes , it is Taidong, south east of Taiwan , this happened frequently during Oct - Mar .
Several place to start and finish , from 10km / 20km / 40km or more

2 Likes

I live in north of Taiwan , this is a small island , I go everywhere whenever condition is good .

1 Like

Yea it’s very small haha, total area i only a little larger than the city I live in, in Australia haha
I travelled on a motorbike up the NW from Taipei, around to jinshan and then down the east coast to donghe. Amazing place and looks like there’s heaps of good foil spots and great DW conditions

2 Likes

saw your post on seabreeze
from Perth you can head down the westcoast to Mandurah which has some good runs, and then further south to Margaret River area which has some crazy runs for experienced downwinders, gets lots of wind and more swell but logistically a bit harder with the shape of the coastline

1 Like