SUP Foil DW Races

It would be nice to list the incoming sup foil dw race, some people might be interested. Just like any other competition, it is not only about results, it is more a good opportunity to meet and regroup passionate people.

I start with this one :

The dw conditions are mellow, easy bumps, definetly not as big as Maliko or M2O but it is fun (except if the sargasse seaweed shows up…). And you have also a world class surf foil spot.
For australians it might hard and expensive to get there, but for USA it sould be quite easy, so come on guys, it would be fun to have many people there, so far only 6 people.

2 Likes

dw guada

Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge dates just announced. July 21-23…come early, stay late, this is the best time of year for downwind SUP foiling here in the Gorge!

4 Likes

One of the biggest race in the year, I wish i could go there but this my busy work time.

@gregclosier any additional info on this race from DW foil perspective? Typical conditions for that time of year, other attractions for foilers.

This could be accessible for UK with the Plymouth/Roscoff ferry, something for us to consider if it is favourable for beginner DW!

Matt, for the Guadelupe race, the run is supposed to be 50km, along the coast, usually trad winds at this time are consitant around 15nd but you can expect some ground swell to give more push. I would say pretty easy dw conditions, kind of bay run but with mellow ground swell.
Last year we did the race (only 15km because of the seaweed issue…) and it was only 8 to 12nd and it was nice. The idea acutally is more to get along and score some long run with the crew before the race. Nobody is into training race, it is a fun race, we want to score before and not rest to be 100% prepare.

Also you have two surf foil waves and many shortboard waves. One surf foil spot is nice, no crowd and easy wave and the other one is world class foil wave, cristal blue, no crowd, long rolling waves, pefect but is needs a N swell to break.

Then I think the next sup dw race will be end of october in Bretagne so easy for UK to come and off course it would be nice to have you there !!

1 Like

Thanks Greg, Guadalupe sounds like a dream trip, to get to the Caribbean would be incredible! Perhaps next year.

I was thinking this race, Enez Raid. Seems to happen in May, and it looks like you were attending in 2022? See some 62 sup foil boards so I guessed it might be you…

Also keep us posted on this, that would be great to attend :call_me_hand:t2: thanks!

Unfortunatly this year the Enez Raid Paddle is only for prone paddling.

1 Like

Hi Greg, congratulations for your run at ZE Caribbean race, looks like it was pretty hard!
What are the 2 surf foil waves in Guadeloupe?

Thanks for your reply

1 Like

Hi, you have one spot in Saint Francois on the right side of the harbor.

And if there is enough North swell you have Port Louis in the south (plage du souffleur, the foil wave is in the middle outside on the reef) which is a world class surf foil wave

2 Likes

Maui Downwind Races are starting to be announced as well.

Paddle Imua is always one of the best of the year. Last year they did not allow foil, because of some drama with the Harbor, so this year I hear it will finish at Kanaha. PADDLE IMUA 2023 - Paddle Imua

The Molokai Holokai is a great race! Day 1 crosses the Pailolo channel from Maui to Molokai. This is a must do race. I missed it last year, I had Covid, so I will be sure to figure out doing it this year! Day 2 is just the “best” part of the run going from the Kamalo Buoy and goes back toward Kaunakakai. Looks like there are two dates possible Friday 14th- Saturday 15th July -or- Friday 11th-Saturday 12th August 2023.

Of course there is the M2O on Sunday, July 30th. The signup is Feb 15th…still don’t know where the finish will be for Foil. If the finish is the same as everyone else, I’m going to pass, otherwise I would like to go.

Anyone planning on hitting any of these races?

2 Likes

Maui in summer is the place to be for sure !!

Start of the race, as you can see it was light wind with small ground swell.
We did 34km unstead of the 40km as it was super flat at the end.

But during the week we did many runs with good conditions !

1 Like

The foil start at 1:47 is cool to watch. Which one are you Greg? The yellow near the top of the frame?

Really fun to see how each foiler works with their own patch of water and has to take different angles to make it work.

Yes, all yellow, I had a good start, but then I realized I wouldn’t be able to finish the 34km if i kept going like that, I had to let it glide without pumping or paddling. Top3 guys were in very good shape, working hard from start to finish.
With the heat, the sargass (seaweed), you have to make a plan and decide how hard you can push.
To me the race is about yourself more than others, you do your own thing, you try to get the most of the conditions, looking for the maximum glide.
It was a challenging race but super fun and most important, we had some good dw run during the week.

6 Likes

Very cool Greg… Looked very flat and like there were no bumps and a 40km pump fest! What foil and mast you riding :grin:?

Everybody was riding foil around 1300/1400.
The start was slow so we had to pump to get away fast but then we had some nice small but steep bumps which was enough to rest and glide.

So who wants to go to Guadeloupe french Caribbean for Ze Race ?
I guess for people living on the east coast it is not to hard to get there.

2 Likes

Would love to,

Fwiw I have a list of confirmed 2024 races here, will keep updating as dates get settled