First DW sup experience

I couldn’t tell a difference with the shim. I ended up having to use nylon washers though and I may not have had a full 1degree. The flat water practice has definitely made getting up in the tiny surf much easier. Still not managing the flat water pop though. Stalling out just as I need to start pumping. Which oddly enough I think I know how to tackle a bit better based on getting up in the surf.

I’m pretty light and I’m using a giant wing. It’s pretty nice for getting lifted, but after that it feels like I’m trying to steer a 757 under my feet. The wing is the gt2200. Someone about my level was out with the 1250 and was unable to get up on some of the smaller bumps that I was able to get into… So take that for what it’s worth.

1 Like

So it’s finally starting to blow over 20knots here in West Oz for summer. I decided to take the RS1150 for a DW run instead of the usual GT2200. Surprised it wasn’t much harder to take off with. Wait for a good bump, paddle hard and away it went. Certainly less boost at initial take off and the board surface planed longer before the foil engaged. Efficieny and glide is unreal. I’ll certainly be trying to use this foil more often when conditions allow. I still used the 1 degree base plate shim and FTL14. Keen to hear what other tails GoFoil Riders are using.

3 Likes

DW sup foil has been my dream ever since the infamous yellow Naish and Mr. Lenny…
Started my foiling journey 9months ago, mostly winging, but with the goal of DW sup. My first DW sup: 3-4 foil-ups and almost instant crashes in a 4-mile run, was able to stand on the board the whole time thoug, which I thought was a success (NSP Sup foil pro 6’2" x 25" Takuma 1440). Attempt #2 (Custom Leahi 6’7" x 20" 90L/1440) Using hand paddles–got flying a few times, but off-balance when gaining feet. Realized I would have done better with a paddle, spent most of the run on my knees. Attempt #3 (Same setup, but using paddle) got some decent paddle-ups, that were short but promising. Tricky foot positioning to not just veer off and fall once flying. Half-way through run started getting some 1-2 minute flights, and ended the run SO stoked. Immediately went out and did a second run with similar results (was a bit tired). Attempt #4: Same run/same setup. Got up very early, getting foot position dialed for balance and pumping. probably 85-90% of the run on foil with some leg-burning long flights. Looking forward to the next run! What surprised me was the (grateful for this) relatively quick progression from thinking “this might not be possible” to “I can definitely do this”. Cheers everyone! And thanks to all for great tips!

6 Likes

I feel like I do this a lot, where I get up on foil but feel like I cant push over the top to getting it moving. Feels like I am right on top of the bump and falling off the back etc.
I’ll do this 4-5 times then suddenly, I just get it right and im cruising lol.